Sticking Hydraulic Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimboveloce

Hi,
I have a 9 year old Specialized Crosstrail Sport that has a front brake that seems to be rubbing the disc. Is it easy to dismantle and check, replace pads? The bike has not been well maintained and I suspect this is the problem. I have already replaced the derailleurs, cassette, bottom bracket, crank and chain, now checking the brakes.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Big John

Guru

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'd bet good money that the issue is gunked up piston seals, which at 9yrs old and badly maintained are unlikely to be worth the effort of fixing.

Gunk

Guru
Sometimes you can get lucky and solve it by releasing the two caliper mounting bolts and re-centring the caliper on the disc, it can also be as simple as just popping the wheel in and out. Try the easy fixes first before stripping stuff.

Velochris

Über Member
Is it continually rubbing, or does it rub at the same place with each rotation of the wheel?

As above, first thing is wheel out, press the pads/pistons back, reinsert wheel and apply the brakes.

If still an issue, could be sticky caliper, out of true rotor, or a combination of the two.

OP
OP
B

Bimboveloce

I have replaced the pads today and things seem much better. Is it easy to adjust the travel of the brake levers, as the rear brake has a lot of travel.

Drago

Legendary Member
There is no means by which the travel can be adjusted, only the lever rest position. New fluid and a proper bleed should restore the travel. This should be the 3rd or 4th time Shimano fluid should habe been changed on a 9 uear old bike.

Top Bottom