Stiff and grinding handlebar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newb101

Regular
I have managed to remove the handlebar from my Carrera mtb and i can see the steering shaft (think that is what its called, connected the handle bars) is quite rusted.

I can't remove the steering shaft to get to the bearings. I have loosened the wheel clamp to see if that was causing any issues, but so far i can only really think it must be the steering shaft or the bearings.

Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the bearings would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• VID_20191206_182506_Moment.jpg
    VID_20191206_182506_Moment.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 112

Ajax Bay

Guru

The video is fine, but it involves a bike with a headset/steerer in good condition.

I often have to work on bikes that have got very corroded over time and it takes more than just a tap with a rubber hammer to shift the headset.

If I am correct about the corrosion the op might need to spend some time putting releasing fluid down the outside of the steerer to loosen the headset. I would remove the wheels, support the bike frame firmly near the headset, and use a bit more force to start it moving. Do not hit the top of the steerer with a metal hammer as this will spread the top of it too much to get it through the headset. Either use a plastic/hard rubber hammer or put a piece of softwood to cushion the top of the steerer from the hammer. Repeated not-too-heavy blows are better than giving it too much welly.

Good luck and be patient. Follow the video once the headset has been taken apart.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Remove front wheel & front brake then support the bike in a stand & hit top of the steerer hard with a plastic or rubber hammer - supporting the fork so it doesn't suddenly drop out. Sometimes the spacers are corroded in place if things are really bad so you may have to prise them off individually - or worst case cut them off carefully to avoid damaging the actual steerer. Sometimes the bearings themselves are seized onto the steerer as well - sometimes they disintegrate when you clonk the steerer out. People neglect these things until there is an issue - removing it cleaning & re-greasing every now and then usually avoids this issue ime. Several hefty clonks may be required

Top Bottom