Stiff back-end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

:ohmy:

When out on a ride (25'er) the other eve/night..i was riding up rise/climbs and the back end was going sideways and slipping a bit as the road was a bit damp - yet putting my wieght over the back was irritating as i couldnt get the 'power down'...i reckon the bike was sideways'ing as the bike is soo stiff.

What do you 'orrible' lot reckon ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
A few prunes every morning, should ease it off by the weekend.;)

col

Legendary Member
I found years ago i could do this by putting more pressure on the pedals,as if i was pushing towards the opposite side,and could also cancel the effect,by not swaying the bike as i was pushing hard.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nothing you can really do except fit lower gears if if bothers you. The back tyre won't slip if you are in the saddle spinning, it only happens when you are out of the saddle putting the power down at a low cadence.

I remember seeing film of the Giro a few years ago where at least one of the teams had bought triple chainsets with them for a mountain stage with some 20% gradients in case it was wet, specifically because of that problem.

alecstilleyedye said:
don't do what i did on saturday, go up a nasty, long climb in 42x25 thinking that i had got the bike in 30x25.

Blimey! How can you not notice that? My HR would be up, my cadence down and my whole body screaming Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhh! Did you just think you were having a bad day?

wafflycat

Crackle said:
Blimey! How can you not notice that? My HR would be up, my cadence down and my whole body screaming Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhh! Did you just think you were having a bad day?

This is my normal bodily reaction to cycling up anything steeper than a 1 in 80 slope... :smile:

wafflycat

I was discussing this thread with Mr Wafflycat and he is reminded of a time when he & I were out cycling together & he sprinted off in front and was going up a slope. he thought he was doing really, really well as the pedalling was so incredibly easy. He thought he was becoming really fit (but not in the way I regard him as *really fit* if you see what I mean). Then he looked down and realised the reason the cycling was so easy was that he was in his granny ring as opposed to the middle ring. It explained why I heard a strangulated cry of "Oh, b*gg*r..." from him at the time.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Crackle said:

it was a hill i'd not been on before, and yes my cadence was down to that akin to riding through treacle. was advised beforehand not to stop as starting again is difficult, so just soldiered on.

wafflycat said:
This is my normal bodily reaction to cycling up anything steeper than a 1 in 80 slope... :smile:

....but do you get that many hills to practice on in Norfolk. My abiding memories of my two hols there (years ago) does not include hills. Beaches, country roads with nice caffs, water and boats but no hills.....

Actually maybe that's an idea for the Easter hols. Stuff everyone into campervan and head for Norfolk with bikes.......Hmmmmm!

alecstilleyedye said:
it was a hill i'd not been on before, and yes my cadence was down to that akin to riding through treacle. was advised beforehand not to stop as starting again is difficult, so just soldiered on.

Ah, understood. In that case I have misjudged many a hill in similiar circumstances. Though a 1:10 would see me in a 30x25 these days :smile:

Top Bottom