Stiff Gear Levers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mattk50, 27 Jan 2018.

1. Mattk50

Mattk50 MattK50

Hi,

My gears levers are getting harder to move on my Trek hybrid especially the 1-3 levers, my thumb's struggling on rides! Without adopting my old non cycling habits of just squirting some wd40 at a problem then how do I fix this? I've started to find my way around my bike now except how the gears work!

Thanks

Matt

2. Heigue'r

Heigue'r Über Member

It may well be a case of squirting some wd 40 on the derailleur.Also maybe the cable needs replacing as there could be a buildup of crud in the sleeves

Mattk50 and raleighnut like this.
  3. It’s a case of cleaning everything thoroughly. There will probably be some build up of gunk around the points where the outers and inners meet. recabling the whole thing ( inners and outers ) is the best solution, but if you want to avoid that, strip out the existing inners, give the outers a good old clean and lube, re thread the inners, carry on.

4. Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy Veteran

Plenty of Vids on Youtube on cleaning brake and gear cables, if your cables run throught the frame, they can be a Pain in the backside if you dont watch out how you do it, again youtube vids show you how.

Mattk50 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mattk50

Mattk50 MattK50

Thanks. Outers and inners? I'll watch some you tube vids. I'm learning albeit slowly.....!

Fnaar likes this.
  6. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

first things first - disconnect the cable and then you can at least determine if it is the gear lever, the cable or the deraileur.

Mattk50 and raleighnut like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Mattk50

Mattk50 MattK50

I just took back to the cycle shop who replaced the cable and opened up the gear lever mechanism to lubricate it. Now, it's back to normal, why they didn't do that on the service two days before I will never know!

8. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

Does yours have grip shifters? I find mine are stiffer in general than the levers on my other bike. They may need lubing more often or something because of the design?

9. Because you didn’t ask? They can work like that sometimes.

10. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

Don't squirt WD40 onto new gear levers, they come from the factory full of grease and the solvent will dissolve it.

si_c likes this.
  11. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Well I would if there was a problem with them. In my experience bike factories are not always as generous with the grease as you might think. I have restored some pretty much seized Shimano rapidfires to new with some quick wd40 or gt spray. Newer shimano rapidfires seem to be easier to take apart, less reliance on far too tiddly easy to lose screws.

12. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

I mistakenly dissassenbled a Shimano gear lever once. I think they have special jigs to hold all of the springs and levers in place.
    I use spray lube to restore older bikes to working order. Gear levers can be picky about lube, std bike grease seems to gum up Shimano ones.

13. Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy Veteran

My gear shifters/levers did not have any grease in them but use PTFE or nylon type components which do not require grease or oil, indeed both would be detrimental in the smooth working of the units

14. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

Matt you don't say how old your bike is..................... Is it still under warranty and or do you have it regularly serviced, if so then throw it back at the bike shop and ask them to sort your problem out. If not then any of the above ideas might help.

15. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

On the ralidfires I have taken apart all the moving business bits were firmly held together in a single mechanism. Just had to be careful with the small screws holding the cover.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice