Stiff zips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
My experience is that the zips, annoyingly, are always the first to go on my cycling garments.
Maybe this is because they get washed frequently and I live in a hard water area?
Anyone else experience this?
Does anyone lube their zips and if so, with what?
Thank you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't graphite good for lubing zips? eg a pencil
And other options... To help unstick your zipper, you can add lubrication to the zipper teeth using chapstick, crayon wax, the end of a graphite pencil, petroleum jelly, and other waxy products or lubricants. For all of these uses, make sure to do a spot test to ensure that the material you're using won't permanently stain the fabric.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thanks everyone for your input.
The jacket is now at my sister's for repair. She is a dab hand with a sewing machine and loves doing stuff like that. The new zip will be heavier-duty.
I was thinking of using graphite or candle wax for lube.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had one stick this afternoon. I couldn't even get it started and didn't want to pull any harder for fear of breaking the tab off.

It was on a cheapo Aldi cycling rain jacket so I'm not super-bothered, but I think I'll squirt a short burst of GT85 into the slider and leave it overnight to see if that frees it.

Candlewax or graphite sound like good bets for lubing the teeth.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When this happens I put a dab of Vaseline on the zip and smooth it along the full length. This always works.

Putting garments, especially jackets, jerseys etc. on correctly can make a difference. The nature of cycle clothing means it's close fitting and the zip is under strain to pull the two sides together. Lift the bottom edges up to above the stomach and just below the chest. Fasten and pull up the zip as far as comfortably possible. Pull the garment down to it's correct position and then pull the zip up the rest of the way.

I know one manufacturer, TacTic, actually recommends this technique. If everything is equal on two items if one has a YKK zipper that tips the balance for me.

The nature of cycle clothing means it's close fitting and the zip is under strain to pull the two sides together. Lift the bottom edges up to above the stomach and just below the chest. Fasten and pull up the zip as far as comfortably possible. Pull the garment down to it's correct position and then pull the zip up the rest of the way.

If ever a cyclechat techtip called for a video it was this.

Top Bottom