Still a Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
No cycling for me today - but did witness someone come flying off. Hit black ice on the white-line markings...Doh!

I commute everyday at 4am - Ice and Frost everywhere...It's good fun :whistle: This time last year I ripped my knee and trousers open coming off at the bottom of a hill, on black ice...Gr!

Closer I get to work, the colder and iceier it gets too!

Set off on a 45 miler today, got off the Humber Bridge in Barton, which is just about 10 miles in, and the road was full of ice. Turned around at that point; I wasn't going to chance it knowing that further into the route, there were lots of roads covered by trees and buildings.

@BrynCP - Where was you heading? I'm over the bridge in Grimsby..Before my work shifts changed, I use to cycle up to Hull quite frequently :smile:

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Our road is really icy. The main roads are OK but we have to cover a good half a mile to get to it. We slipped and slithered about walking the dogs and decided that, despite the sunshine and blue skies, we'd not ride today. Anyway, while out we saw some poor sod slide down the road off his bike. He got up and rode away (on the verge this time) before we could ask if he needed help.

Same this side of the county too. Spent ages last night getting the bike ready and all my clothes were laid out for my first ride of the year. Took the dogs for a walk and soon realised that with all the will in the world I was not riding today!
Was really looking forward to getting out too :bicycle:

BrynCP

Über Member
@BrynCP - Where was you heading? I'm over the bridge in Grimsby..Before my work shifts changed, I use to cycle up to Hull quite frequently :smile:

I do a 45 mile route, of which 25 miles is over the bridge; I head out of Barton then onto Thornton Curtis, Barrow, New Holland and back to Barton and over the bridge. Except for the road between Barrow Haven and Barton, I rarely see any traffic! However, seeing the ice on Far Ings Road, I thought some of the back roads might be too dodgy.

upload_2015-1-4_18-39-35.png

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Is it possible to sew lycra?
Well I have: they are my warmest shorts. I put the needle in far enough away from the hole that the thread doesn't pull through, crisscrossed the thread across to pull the hole closed and then reinforced the darn. find out if it holds next time I go out .. Fortunately the holes are not anywhere too embarrassing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Same this side of the county too. Spent ages last night getting the bike ready and all my clothes were laid out for my first ride of the year. Took the dogs for a walk and soon realised that with all the will in the world I was not riding today!
Was really looking forward to getting out too :bicycle:
KLWNBUG rode today. One no- damage fall (gritted road, too!) But low speeds and fat tyres are more common here. The two local race- style clubs cancelled. I don't blame them. Not good conditions for a pace line but it was OK for touring.

flyingfish

We had a 19 miles ride today, no crashes on the ice but saw a lady slip over at our meet up point
Pete

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

KLWNBUG rode today. One no- damage fall (gritted road, too!) But low speeds and fat tyres are more common here. The two local race- style clubs cancelled. I don't blame them. Not good conditions for a pace line but it was OK for touring.
yes, hmm. Only been riding my new bike a couple of months and it has gatorskins on, seem a lot more slippy on ice than the old schwalbe active air or marathon 1 1/4 inch tyres on my old bike. I managed to cycle most of 2012-13 winter on those without peril. Still it seems different anyway in a group because you don't have the same leeway for slowing and stopping as you do on your own. I doubt I would have perservered with the road we were on if i'd been on my own..it was hard to hold onto the bike even when you were standing (ot trying to) on the ground, and I was wearing mtb shoes.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Grit would have been nice!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
-2 at 10 am and the roads were still lethal, went to the tip in the car and i was sliding on the side road to the tip so i thought stuff this , in the afternoon we had a tea party for min ck#2 so no riding anyway although with the windchill and reynauds my hands were white in the 5 mins it took me and 2 other relatives to put a fence panel in the concrete post slots so i think i made the right choice.
The weather is forecast to warm up and its back to the 5 day commute tomorrow anyway with hopefully a Sunday ride.

Top Bottom