still in one piece and no hairy moments!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Went out this morning on my new M520 pedals and cleats and came back in one piece. Covered 25 miles all together and only had to stop once at a crossroad. I remembered to unclip and all went well. The only snag is that I find it easier to use my right foot to unclip rather than my usual left foot. (I am left handed). For some reason, clipping in on the right goes easier than the left, yet both pedals are set on the easy setting. Do any of you have this slight problem too?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No.

You probably need to see a doctor.

Drago

Legendary Member
In an ideal world you'd unclip the left so you're leaning away from traffic and ready with your strong leg in the power position ready to move off, but it's hardly the end of the World.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I can't unclip on the right to save my life (well, I probably could if it came to that) but I can clip and unclip very easily on the left. Unclipping the right shoe takes actual thought.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
More people then you think are right footers. It's not a problem.
In fact I have seen more left footers have clipless moments as they misjudge foot/kerb interface.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Most unclipping problems are caused by trying to pull the foot up as you twist sideways. If one foot is a bit weaker than the other this tendency increases because a little bit of panic sets in. You need to practice at giving a twist with a flat foot, if you see what I mean. It soon becomes second nature with either foot.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I recently had my cleat position adjusted cos I was getting "hot spots".....now I can't clip in without looking at my feet....fekking annoying it is!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No.

You probably need to see a doctor.

Can they swap your feet over these days?

I'm a right-foot unclipper. At lights this has the advantage of keeping you well in drivers' line of sight rather than summat in the gutter. It also has the disadvantage of allowing gutteristas to slip by on the inside and stop somewhere in front of me where they can't see the lights. Hey ho, swings and roundabouts....

wanda2010

Guru
I used to be a right foot unclipper, but retrained myself to use my left leg so I could make use of the pavement edge. Mind you, at that time my bum stayed on the seat at all times, til I had a bike fit and the saddle was raised :cry: Better for power transfer but it does mean I could return to unclipping with the left leg, if only I could remember!

Top Bottom