Still stretching, should I change the bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Some of you might remember a while ago I was complaining about stretching on my commuter to reach the bars. I changed the stem which made a little difference but I still have the problem when on the drops.
Since I only use the bike for commuting and I tend to commute at a leisurely pace, should I just change to flat bars? This would probably feel more comfortable and might even sort out my brakes problem (they are still crap).
It certainly wouldnt cost much as I could get some used bars from a local LBS and then buy grips and brakes for not much (shifters are downtube).

BSRU

A Human Being
Are they standard drops or compact drops?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Standard. I was thinking of changing to compact but It probably wouldnt make a significant difference.

They make a difference on reach in the drops, they don't sweep as far forward and the drops are lower. If your hoods are OK for riding on, the drops may be a little to far with standard bars.

BSRU

A Human Being
Standard. I was thinking of changing to compact but It probably wouldnt make a significant difference.
It makes a big difference, my tourer came with standard bars and I was stretching too far so I changed them to compact bars and now they are fine.
It is important to note I was stretching on the hoods or drops but not when on the bit I do not know the name of, 90 degrees to the stem, where you hold when climbing in the saddle.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It makes a big difference, my tourer came with standard bars and I was stretching too far so I changed them to compact bars and now they are fine.
It is important to note I was stretching on the hoods or drops but not when on the bit I do not know the name of, 90 degrees to the stem, where you hold when climbing in the saddle.
Thats the same with me. I am fine on the flat part of the bars but have difficulty on the hoods and drops.

I will pop to the LBS tomorrow and see if they have any used compact bars that I could just have (they have given me some before).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

It probably would! But you would need to select one which suits you. I used some anatomical bars for ages, but changed out to some Zipp Service Course SL Short and Shallow bars and they are a LOT more comfortable in the drops. I wasn't even uncomfortable before the change (I changed because the stock bars flexed in a way which did not inspire confidence, the Zipp bars are very stiff) so can only imagine how great the change would be changing from bars which do not suit at all to something which does.

As said; they would. Try to find a bike with compacts on and just try your hands on them. It's one of the most significant differences I've made to my bike in terms of comfort and fit.

Top Bottom