Sting in the tail.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
So we have booked ten days in the US of A for next years holiday.We have done Orlando and done the theme parks.This time it will be New York and Boston Massachusetts .So on returning home i went on You Tube to look at the hotel in New York,a nice old place named The New Yorker, A Wyndham Hotel.Then i went on TripAdvisor still all well good reviews a couple of upset customers,then came the shock revealed in a review.A TAX call it a resort tax an occupancy tax,it is extra money on top of the holiday and i think quite a lot,between $30 -$50 per day, ten days .Times the four of us.I can tell you that has hurt me.Mrs Postman is going to contact the sales rep in the travel agent for confirmation ,but she already thinks it will have to be paid,what a bummer.

fted33

Hi Postman.

Its 31 dollars a day per room. Apparently covers the cost of what you would have got free like internet!!. Its a pain. Have a look here.
http://www.resortfeechecker.com/hotel_resort_fees_new_york_ny.html the site covers all of the states

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Loads of places are doing this.
We had to pay a tax in Ibiza last year.
This years we are being hit by $80 turkey tourist visas.
No one tells you this when you book.

A lot of places charge local taxes these days. In France recently it was 30 cents per person per day, if I remember correctly. I don't know why we don't here in the UK?
I think we do via high airport taxes.

The queue at Heathrow to recover VAT on all tourist purchases is always huge. We could just stop that.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Maybe a coincidence but someone in our office is going to Mexico next year. The agent has told her there is an extra daily tax being introduced.
I thought it was to build Mr Trump's wall.

We went to Mexico a few years ago and were advised at the resort welcome meeting that there was a departure tax, payable at the airport and in cash only.

I think it was US$20 each, although a quick Google suggests it's US$65 each now.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Seems to be 'a thing' @postman Some info here. Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
It seems to be per room, and about $2 per day, how many rooms are you booking?

Can you be my Landlord.We are going to get a better idea of these extra costs by seeing our rep.But we now know to put some money to one side,i don't think it will be anywhere near $50 per day.Hopefully not.The rep herself actually has just come back from her holiday in Boston,another place that charges this tax.Being a TRUE YORKSHIREMAN,i don't agree with it but who the hill am i.

Last edited:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I had to pay Resort Tax in Majorca....it's around 5 euros a day, which was around 20 euros for my trip. It's apparently to be reinvested into the economy etc.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Fnaar left me a link,which is excellent i found a few others last night.It seems it is legal and costs vary 13% upwards per day per person.At least we can budget for it now,it would have been a shock on booking out day at the hotel,but why oh why did the rep not tell us.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In France recently it was 30 cents per person per day, if I remember correctly.

That's pretty cheap.

We were just outside Venice in May and paid 4 Euro per person per day at hour hotel.
However, if you settled your lunch and drinks bill (we were half board) in cash, there was a 20% discount.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@postman Is your travel agency EU based and you paid them directly, if so they legally had to tell you about the fees up front. Under EU law they are not allowed to hide any fees/taxes.

Top Bottom