Sting in the tail.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by postman, 9 Aug 2018.

1. postman

postman Legendary Member

So we have booked ten days in the US of A for next years holiday.We have done Orlando and done the theme parks.This time it will be New York and Boston Massachusetts .So on returning home i went on You Tube to look at the hotel in New York,a nice old place named The New Yorker, A Wyndham Hotel.Then i went on TripAdvisor still all well good reviews a couple of upset customers,then came the shock revealed in a review.A TAX call it a resort tax an occupancy tax,it is extra money on top of the holiday and i think quite a lot,between $30 -$50 per day, ten days .Times the four of us.I can tell you that has hurt me.Mrs Postman is going to contact the sales rep in the travel agent for confirmation ,but she already thinks it will have to be paid,what a bummer.

Drago likes this.
  2. fted33

fted33 Active Member

Hi Postman.

Its 31 dollars a day per room. Apparently covers the cost of what you would have got free like internet!!. Its a pain. Have a look here.
    http://www.resortfeechecker.com/hotel_resort_fees_new_york_ny.html the site covers all of the states

postman likes this.
  3. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

Are you sure it's dollars, not cents?

postman likes this.
  4. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Goodness. Hope that's included. I'll be sure to look out for that!

postman likes this.
  5. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

At least you found out a year in advance, giving you time to save up, but it still is rotten news!

postman likes this.
  6. TinyMyNewt

It seems to be per room, and about $2 per day, how many rooms are you booking?

postman and Beebo like this.
  7. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Are you sure it is per person or per room?
    Also there is often a max cap of 5 days.

postman and TinyMyNewt like this.
  8. Maybe a coincidence but someone in our office is going to Mexico next year. The agent has told her there is an extra daily tax being introduced.
    I thought it was to build Mr Trump's wall.

classic33, postman and NorthernDave like this.
  9. TinyMyNewt

A lot of places charge local taxes these days. In France recently it was 30 cents per person per day, if I remember correctly. I don't know why we don't here in the UK?

postman likes this.
  10. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Loads of places are doing this.
    We had to pay a tax in Ibiza last year.
    This years we are being hit by $80 turkey tourist visas.
    No one tells you this when you book.

I think we do via high airport taxes.

The queue at Heathrow to recover VAT on all tourist purchases is always huge. We could just stop that.

classic33 and postman like this.
  11. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

We went to Mexico a few years ago and were advised at the resort welcome meeting that there was a departure tax, payable at the airport and in cash only.

I think it was US$20 each, although a quick Google suggests it's US$65 each now.

postman likes this.
  12. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

13. OP
    OP
    postman

postman Legendary Member

Can you be my Landlord.We are going to get a better idea of these extra costs by seeing our rep.But we now know to put some money to one side,i don't think it will be anywhere near $50 per day.Hopefully not.The rep herself actually has just come back from her holiday in Boston,another place that charges this tax.Being a TRUE YORKSHIREMAN,i don't agree with it but who the hill am i.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2018
    raleighnut and Drago like this.
  14. Drago

Drago Guru

Is it a real tax, or just a charge the vendor has invented to make more money?

15. Charlotte Alice Button

Charlotte Alice Button Unicorn Tamer

I had to pay Resort Tax in Majorca....it's around 5 euros a day, which was around 20 euros for my trip. It's apparently to be reinvested into the economy etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice