Stinky Ortliebs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Do you think sticking some detergent in my panniers, adding warm water and skooshing it about will strip away some kind of vital internal waterproof coating?

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
According to their FAQs they expect you to clean them, so it must be OK to.
Good stuff. I tried antiseptic wipes and it just added a mildly sharp smell to it.

U

User32269

I clean inside my panniers and rucksacks with diluted Milton's sterilising fluid. Never done them any harm, and smells nice and clean afterwards.

mythste

Veteran
Febreeze! I wish I was joking. No amount of scrubbing and detergent seemed to get the damp smell out of my classics but I doused the whole thing in febreeze then rolled them up for 24 hours et voila!

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Febreeze! I wish I was joking. No amount of scrubbing and detergent seemed to get the damp smell out of my classics but I doused the whole thing in febreeze then rolled them up for 24 hours et voila!
Not sure if i heard this on 99% Invisible, but they supposedly developed it with no smell, but extremely effective at killing odour... and it was a flop. Then they added smells and it was a success.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Don't put your head in your panniers... weirdo :wacko:

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Am update for any stinky Ortliebed googlers. I couldn't find any Milton like substance with any ease, so i went with soapy water and gave it a scoosh.

Firstly, i forgot how heavy water is, and i did this in the sink and not in a bath. As a result I managed to soak the kitchen and make my pannier so foamy it was practically impossible to rinse. So, another vote for Milton's...

It also took forever to dry.

That all said, smells good (doesn't smell) and doesn't look like it did any damage. I have a waterproofing spray which i might apply to the pockets just to help resist anything smelly and damp.

Bodhbh

Guru
I was gonna ask how you managed to stink out the Ortliebs given they're totally non-absorbent....then I took them foraging for wild garlic over the weekend.

Bit of washing up liquid and hang upside down to dry should do the job imo!

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I was gonna ask how you managed to stink out the Ortliebs given they're totally non-absorbent....then I took them foraging for wild garlic over the weekend.

Bit of washing up liquid and hang upside down to dry should do the job imo!

I keep my gym kit in it, mostly in other bags. I have forgotten lunches in there over the weekend in the past.

My classics have a sewn in fabric bag on the inside - and they were pretty grotty once i actually looked at them...

Wild garlic! Sounds yummy. I wish I had any confidence with mushroom picking, became I see them hiding around the place. I just don't fancy multiple organ failure at the moment...

Top Bottom