Stock pedals on a Defy 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASquared

Hi all. So after lurking around the forums for a while and picking up on lots of good advice, I decided to take the plunge and a road bike. Still some deals around on 2011 Defy 4, so went for one of those - actually I wanted a Defy 3 but they had all gone :sad: Anyway, I am looking forward to getting on it as soon as I get it, but I am wondering about the stock clip pedals. Having no road bike experience, I think I might have my hands full mastering the bike itself without worrying about the pedals. Will I be able to use the pedals without being "stuck" in them?

Giants spec page for ref: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.4.triple/7842/45450/

to be honest, there's more chance of being 'stuck' in toe clips than there is with 'clipless' pedals. But if you're uncertain about them, you can just unbolt the plastic cages from the pedals and just ride on the flats.... :smile:

Berties

Fast and careful!
as long as you can ride a bike mastering a road bike is a piece of cake,as for the clips it will feel alien to start with but if you persist it will become second nature,my wife has clips and the same with her she was unsure but has taken to them starting in one push off pedal a couple of times,spin the second peddle and foot in hey presto you won't even look at your feet,and you'll be in clip less before we know it,,I have said before if you feel your saddle is to high at the beginning to get to grips with the clips lower the saddle for a week then higher as you feel confident:thumbsup:

HovR

Über Member
Just set the straps loose. That way you're not attached to the pedals at all, and you can easily remove your foot from the clips at any time - The only difference is that you remove your foot from the clips by moving your foot backwards, not to the side as you may do with flats.

As said earlier, you can just take the clips off, but I'd recommend persevering with them. Once you're used to the bike you can tighten the straps and get used to being attached to the bike.

In my opinion, it is of great benefit to have some form of foot retention. I find now that if I ride on flats that I sometimes lift my feet off the pedals on the up-stroke, as I am so used to being able to pull up when clipped in!

OP
OP
A

ASquared

Thanks for the comments all. I have gotten frustrated on several long rides on my MTB trying to find a good position on the pedal or slipping off it, especially when its been wet, so I am willing to give the clips a chance. Not sure I want to get tied into have to wear specific shoes for the clipless though. I basically just wanted to get comfortable with the bike handling without the additional hassle of clips for the first few of miles. Seems like I have options though. Is it possible to use them as flats when they are upside down?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
When I first bought my road bike, it came with toe cages and straps, immediately got rid of these and used flat pedals, and then progressed to look Keo clipless pedals.

HovR

Über Member
Is it possible to use them as flats when they are upside down?

Not really. Depending on your BB height, crank length etc they tend to hit the ground on corners if you use the pedals upside down. They're only held on by 2 bolts though, so it's easy enough to remove them whilst you get used to the bike.

Psyclist

Über Member
I just sold my old 2011 Defy 4, was a great bike nevertheless. I am new to foot retention and I removed the straps and kept the clips on. Then, when I get used to that, I'll put the straps back on. Maybe try that.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- or you could fit half-clips initially, then when you are at ease with the bike, refit the clips and straps, or go clipless. It is much easier to use any kind of clips with fairly smooth soled shoes, so that your feet slide in easily. Heavily ridged trainer soles catch on the pedal cage and make things more difficult.

Brad

Sooner or later you will eventually end up going clipless, just take a week or so getting used to the way the bike handles (maybe even buy a set of cheap flat pedals) and the progress onto some clipless units! Honestly, you will notice the difference almost straight away!!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
if you go with SH-56 cleats (normal SPD) almost any panic movement of your foot will release them, so long as you dont have the tension above about medium. It really is amazing how easily they come out when you want them to, and how solid they are when you need them to be.

Maylian

Veteran
Yeah I moved to a road bike back in March and was using cages first of all that came with it. The transition of just riding a normal road bike took a little while but I love how much faster and lighter and more nimble it is. The pedals initially I thought were great but as others say it was far harder to get your foot in, sometimes they were too tight or loose and just a pain.

Around two months ago I took the leap into SPD-SL pedals and shoes and I have never been happier. I have mine done really tight since it feels better on my knees but as long as you are aware of possible hazards / causes to stop you should mostly avoid the dreaded "clipless moment" many people have. When I fitted the new pedals I just cycled up and down a quiet road during the day just unclipping and clipping in to get practice for an hour or so. Clipping in for me can still be a bit of a hassle so tend to coast to lights if I know they're changing shortly etc but the power transfer is very satisfying.

Rob500

Will I be able to use the pedals without being "stuck" in them?
Yes. No problem. Just keep the strap loose enough to allow you to pull your foot back without having to go through the rigmarole of bending down to release the 'buckle'.

I found that the cage & strap method actually helped me when I made the move over to clipless. I know they are completely different systems but by the time I went clipless my brain had become accustomed to having to 'remove' my foot rather than just lift it off.

Top Bottom