Stolen bike or lost keys ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dag Hammar

I cycled to my local Waitrose and proceeded to lock my bike to their bike rack just outside their entrance.
On the ground lay a cable that had been cleanly cut and had the Squire padlock still attached to the two loops. It made me wonder if someone’s bike had been stolen or had the owner lost his key and returned later with a cutter ?

Attachments

• IMG_3470.jpeg
    IMG_3470.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 53

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well if it was the owner it's a shame they didn't pick up their rubbish and dispose of it properly.

OP
OP
D

Dag Hammar

Likely stolen, what did you lock your's with

I use a similar looped cable and a very strong padlock. It has made me think about getting a heavier duty cable as I like the flexibility that cable offers as opposed to a D lock.
Any recommendations from readers to guide me towards a really tough cable ?

I use a similar looped cable and a very strong padlock. It has made me think about getting a heavier duty cable as I like the flexibility that cable offers as opposed to a D lock.

I'd avoid a cable lock altogether and get a D'Lock thats rated sold secure gold (mines OnGuard but the a few others out there, the 'sold secure gold' is the important thing) there's no real tough cable; there is Litelok but they are dear. There's 'sold secure gold' chains if you really want flexibility but IMO it also give the crook flexibility. https://thebestbikelock.com/best-bike-lock/sold-secure-gold-bike-locks/

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You can get armoured cable locks like the Abus Steel-o-Flex. Unlike a basic 6 mm cable, you won't get through them with pliers or side cutters, but an angle grinder will chop them pretty quickly.

There are angle grinder resistant U-locks available now (Litelok X1 & X3, Hiplock D1000), at a price. These are resistant in that cutting them is likely to use up a few cutting discs, need more than one battery, and take 15 minutes or so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Cable locks are very easy to cut through. Only use them to secure a wheel in conjunction with a d-lock. I don't use a cable at work, not secure enough. D lock for frame and rear wheel and an Abus Bordo for the front wheel

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the only place i leave the bike unattended is at work where i have a thick motorbike chain + lock and a d lock , wouldn't like to cart them about .

Top Bottom