Stolen Bike Survey - Win £50 in CRC vouchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mossj88

Hi,

I'm trying to establish what the industry is doing to help combat bike theft, what cyclists think the should be doing and the circumstances around bike theft.

It would help if you would complete the below survey and as a reward I'll be picking one person to win £50 in CRC vouchers and 2 other people to receive alarmed padlocks

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LQWKY7V

Thanks,
John
Stolen Bikes UK

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
done

Linford

Coding only really helps when a cycle has been recovered to prove ownership...you are very much on your own when approaching the police to inform them of a theft.
Done anyway

OP
OP
mossj88

mossj88

Coding only really helps when a cycle has been recovered to prove ownership...you are very much on your own when approaching the police to inform them of a theft.
Done anyway

The service I'm trying to setup is aimed at the people who buy used bikes and giving them the tools they need to look out for stolen bikes (effectively crowd sourcing the recovery, where frame numbers are available)... convincing both the police to give us data and the buyers to use the service will be an uphill battle (also getting people recording frame numbers) but it's one I'm putting my resources behind (about £7,000, my name and my time so far... possible investment of £40k at the end of January if I win a grant).

I'm also trying to look at where the industry and police seem to be failing.

Thanks for completing the survey, the issues people bring up are what I'm really looking into as I'd rather make changes to address them now than be caught up in it when pitching the idea.

Last edited:

Linford

Makes sense...good luck with it :smile:

I like the initial idea but you would have to think about how you be able to grow the product long term and where your revenue streams from.

Is there a charge for using the site to look a bike up or is it free because the person who registers the bike is paying a fee which is what will drive the growth of the business?

What complimentary products will you offer to those interested in registering to compete with others with similar ideas?

OP
OP
mossj88

mossj88

I like the initial idea but you would have to think about how you be able to grow the product long term and where your revenue streams from.

Is there a charge for using the site to look a bike up or is it free because the person who registers the bike is paying a fee which is what will drive the growth of the business?

What complimentary products will you offer to those interested in registering to compete with others with similar ideas?

The plan is to make it free for both parties, the servers to run it aren't expensive so running costs are pretty low and the plan is to get some deals with high quality insurance companies and retailers where someone who has checked a bike gets a discount and we get a commission on the sale.

The plan is to make it free for both parties, the servers to run it aren't expensive so running costs are pretty low and the plan is to get some deals with high quality insurance companies and retailers where someone who has checked a bike gets a discount and we get a commission on the sale.

Interesting concept which is great for exposure but I would still be wary as an investor because you are essentially relying on a retailer giving a discount and then giving a cut of the sale to you which reduces their profit margin twice... I fear that retailers would be reluctant to sign up because of this and would drag their heels to pay up.

The other issue if I was an investor would be your income is not guaranteed because you are relying on the customer to take up the discount with the retailer to get the income from providing them with a service. Say a 100 people use the service and only 10 people use the voucher so you are losing 90% of your potential income.

Best of luck by the way!

Chris

Top Bottom