Stolen Ruby Elite Specialized 2009 -taken on 5/9/09 fromTooley Street, London Bridge, London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi all

I got a lot on at the moment so the bike sadly is the least of the worries - if and when (if being the big question) these things get sorted I will try and get this going again.

It's unbelievable how crap it's been.

Ebay do only seem to want to squeeze money out of the situation and as far as they're concerned this seller get them a nice fee at the end of the day.

bauldbairn

ttcycle said:
Ebay do only seem to want to squeeze money out of the situation and as far as they're concerned this seller get them a nice fee at the end of the day.

Yes that's exactly how it appears - good luck ttcycle!

Crankarm

Guru
I would write to the Times as they did a huge piece on Ebay turning a blind eye to sellers selling stolen goods about 12-18 months ago and the police who also turn a blind eye. I think they would be more than pleased to do a follow up article. Bikes and trade power tools were the items they featured.

Why didn't you bid on your bike TT then pursue Ebay (as agent for the seller) for the value you paid the thief when you had your bike? I am sure they would have paid up rather than risk judgement against them or the publicity. Or you should have got some CCers together and we would have gone down to the thief's, place got your bike and D-locked him :laugh:.

bauldbairn

Crankarm said:
I would write to the Times as they did a huge piece on Ebay turning a blind eye to sellers selling stolen goods about 12-18 months ago and the police who also turn a blind eye. I think they would be more than pleased to do a follow up article. Bikes and trade power tools were the items they featured.

+1, Good idea. :tongue:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
CCers bid on the bike- inflated the price for the buyer in the end but they really wanted the bike. The size of the frame quoted was not the same as my bike, the pedals the same, pictures of the scuff marks on both hoods the same infact - reported these details to police upon theft.

When things settle down (when?!!), I'll contact the Times - in fact a friend of mine works there.
Does anyone happen to know who the journo was that wrote the piece?

Crankarm

Guru
ttcycle said:
CCers bid on the bike- inflated the price for the buyer in the end but they really wanted the bike. The size of the frame quoted was not the same as my bike, the pedals the same, pictures of the scuff marks on both hoods the same infact - reported these details to police upon theft.

When things settle down (when?!!), I'll contact the Times - in fact a friend of mine works there.
Does anyone happen to know who the journo was that wrote the piece?

Sorry tt I can't remember. I would have thought their "newsdesk" or an editor would be able to find out. Unfortunately from your comments on the bike advertised on Ebay it might not have been your bike. How many bikes have scratched/scuffed hoods and some types of pedals are made in hundreds of thousands? Why specify the wrong bike size in an ad even if a bike were stolen? It wouldn't make sense really. What do I know anyway.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Crank, The only issue is that the colour of the pedals were the same, the three photographs taken showed that the seller had tried to conceal the pedal type by positioning the cranks in a certain way. The scuffing was very specific.

Plus the advert was a generic description of the bike and didn't mention the upgraded pedals- this in combo with the bottle cage I'd put on the bike- was still there. They'd removed the sensors etc but quite likely this was my bike. Think it's lost to the ether now though.

porteous

Veteran
Very odd, no feedback available on anything this seller has sold since the end of Nov 09, and anything prior to that has no detail of the item. I wonder if the seller is able to remove it or if E-Bay might actually be doing something?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Porteous..don't get my hopes up mate! Well, if they manage to scupper any further sales from this goon I live in hope - my lovely bike mark 2 has long gone into the clutches of some evil git with purchasing knowledge/ethics of a flea

HobbesChoice

HobbesChoice said:
What's quite odd with that seller is if you look at their feedback and then click to view the item (when it's definitely under 90 days old) 2 of the 3 listings have been removed before their time, I assume to avoid showing any evidence for longer than is absolutely necessary to them! There's only one sale that's still viewable.

porteous said:
Very odd, no feedback available on anything this seller has sold since the end of Nov 09, and anything prior to that has no detail of the item. I wonder if the seller is able to remove it or if E-Bay might actually be doing something?

I noticed this in January, but didn't word it as succinctly as you porteous. You can't see details of any items over 90 days old as a rule in Ebay anyway, but it is odd that the items sold recently have their details removed so quickly. My thought is that the seller may have done that to hide the evidence as fast as possible.

Top Bottom