Stolen Trek 1.5 WSD - London, 22/9/09

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

panpipe

My new Trek was stolen from outside my workplace on Clerkenwell Green EC1R yesterday, sometime between 1pm and 4pm. They seem to have made very light work of the super heavy-duty (or so I thought) Kryptonite cable lock.

Details as follows:

- Trek 1.5 WSD (2009 model)
- 47" frame
- Mainly blue in colour but with white drops and white Bontrager Race Lite saddle
- Bontrager SSR wheels
- Only additions to it are a black bottle cage, reflectors on both wheels and various clips/straps for attaching computer and lights.

It is registered on immobilise.com and I have reported it, with frame number, to Islington Police Station.

I would be grateful for anyone that sees it to contact me. Next stop might be a trip down to Brick Lane on Sunday to see if I can spot it...

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sorry to hear that - also check ebay and gumtree and let the police know if you find it - I wouldn't guarantee that they'll do anything though.

Do you have insurance for your bike?

OP
OP
P

panpipe

Yes luckily it is insured under the house insurance policy. I've been practically glued to ebay and gumtree too.

It's really annoying (to put it mildly) as I've only had it for two months and that was the first time I decided to cycle in to work - a new job that I've only been in a week and a half!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm sorry to hear that - as a person who has had two expensive bikes stolen in 6 months - I really feel your pain- the Specialized Ruby posts on here will tell you all about it.

Try not to obsess too much and glad to hear you are insured - unfortunately no lock is truly theft proof. Is there no where in work you can store your new bike when it arrives? Maybe you can sweet talk someone -- I am still waiting on the useless insurance company to pay out! Hope yours is quicker!

Kuota M

Sorry to read about your experience. You are not alone in this. It has happened to me and my lady. At least you are insured.
I scoured Gumtree for weeks too and annoyingly enough could see my bike advertised there but left it. I have since forgotten about going down to brick lane to look for my bike. I just cant face it and all the negative thoughts I would have to deal with let alone to energy and time it would take.
If you went to Brick Lane the police will only tell you to do the investigative work yourself and turn into Mrs Marples. You have a job, a life and the bike was not taken from you by force so you have no bad memories of it being taken.

For your own sanity I would say put your energy into chasing the insurer and getting the money sent directly to yourself and NOT to your LBS. The 2010 bikes are out now so you may not be able to find a 2009 exact replacement of your bike bike you can upgrade for a bit extra and we all know that there is no better feeling than picking up a new bike (well...)
When you lock it up, consider taking out the entire seat post with you. It becomes less attractive to those toerags who steal people bikes.
p.s. Brahan - I share your sentiments.

Good luck Panpipe.

OP
OP
P

panpipe

Thanks Kuota I can certainly relate to your post. There's definitely a Miss Marple thing going on at the moment; I've been glued to Gumtree what feels like 24/7 since Tuesday. I'll have to try not to obsess about it too much.

The insurance company have said they will pay for a replacement so that's one good thing. Unfortunately the 2010 model is over £100 more expensive than 2009 so we'll have to wait and see what they say about that. I was just getting used to it too so it'll be like going back to square one!

UPDATE: As I was typing this, a colleague brought up a letter for me from the police - to say there isn't enough evidence so the case is now being closed. Argh!

Kuota M

panpipe said:
Thanks Kuota I can certainly relate to your post. There's definitely a Miss Marple thing going on at the moment; I've been glued to Gumtree what feels like 24/7 since Tuesday. I'll have to try not to obsess about it too much.

The insurance company have said they will pay for a replacement so that's one good thing. Unfortunately the 2010 model is over £100 more expensive than 2009 so we'll have to wait and see what they say about that. I was just getting used to it too so it'll be like going back to square one!

UPDATE: As I was typing this, a colleague brought up a letter for me from the police - to say there isn't enough evidence so the case is now being closed. Argh!

I know the letter well, I got it and also a call from the local bobby (only because my stolen carbon bike was so expensive he thought he was dealing with someone posh...of course I am, very)
If you can get the money from the insurer direct you should be able to go into your local bike shop/Evans and get a 10% discount which would take £80 off the price and if you think of it like that, you've paid £20 quid for a new bike (of course there's the locks and oh, obviously you will have to get new bib shorts and top to match...;) )

Top Bottom