Stolen white Specialized Allez 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaix

Really really sad to lose my trusty Specialized in which I did the Northern Rock cyclone this summer : (

Please look out for it if you're in the area - see pic
my stolen bike

Stolen from behind a locked gate opposite Albert Road Rec near Ally Pally, London (N22)

contact me via this thread if you have any info...

thanks
Steven

e-rider

crappy member
I assume the gate was locked but the bike wasn't!

Good luck getting it back - not very likely though.

House insurance might cover it if you have some - worth checking the policy.

OP
OP
R

roubaix

I assume the gate was locked but the bike wasn't!

Good luck getting it back - not very likely though.

House insurance might cover it if you have some - worth checking the policy.

Thanks! It had a lock on it but it wasn't locked : ( our home insurance does cover it (with £100 excess mind) but I was pretty attached to that bike. not too keen on getting the tube on Monday...

OP
OP
R

roubaix

Yep, I keep looking at everyone I see riding a bike at the moment, hoping I see one of our bikes.

We spotted a suspicious looking ad posted the day after the bike was stolen on Gumtree. Stock photo, Specialized Allez and the correct size (large), location was Turnpike Lane so just down the road, mobile number only, very little info on bike (2 lines), low price (£350) and when searched on the name and mobile number other ads for motorbike parts came up. Tried ringing the mobile several times since yesterday but no answer - CID reckon he'd bought a cheap pay as you go SIM card and ditched it once he'd sold the bike. I reckon that was *my* bike : (

There are two things that are really frustrating about the whole episode:

1. Despite CID agreeing this sounded potentially suspicious they're not allowed to do anything about it as they'd have to have agreement from above to put surveillance on etc. They wouldn't be able to send round plain clothed detectives to check it out. The officer who rang was really apologetic and obviously as frustrated as I am at being "hamstrung by our superiors" as he put it and not being able to bring these little b******s to justice.

2. Why are Gumtree allowed to persist with (not to mention make money from) a method of trading which actively aids people who are selling stolen goods. Unlike eBay they don't need to register as a seller, can sell goods with only a mobile number and they don't have to prove they own the item. It's just plain wrong! They are making money out of providing the perfect shop window for thieving so-and-sos. Add to that people's inbuilt greed...and hey presto...

I can't see much hope for Cameron's Big Society when parasites like the one who took my bike (and no doubt countless others) are let off the hook like this.

Top Bottom