Stop it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Coco said:
Yeh, I rather foolishly got the Bianchi to replace my commuter. Little did I know that it won't take a rack :ohmy:

Looks like I'll need to get another bike more suitable for commuting :biggrin:

Oh dear :laugh::biggrin:.

I hadn't realised you had done a "N+1-1" or "N-1+1" :blush:

You can't NOT have a bike with a rack ... if it was me, I'd probably go for a geared bike which can be used for commuting, winter cycling, light touring, rough tracks etc., i.e. a bit more of an all-rounder (cyclo-cross?), rather than a single-speed or fixie. I had somehow assumed you were looking for a 3rd bike :biggrin:.

But then again your requirements and reasonings may be different from mine :smile: (i.e. you may be preparing for another "N+1" in the near future instead, to fill the "gaps" between Sunday bike and SS/Fixie :o)

T

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

Telemark said:
Oh dear :smile::thumbsup:.

I hadn't realised you had done a "N+1-1" or "N-1+1" :laugh:

Sorry didn't make it clear. While the SS/Fixed will replace the hybrid for commuting duties, the hybrid will make a miraculous recovery and become suitable for general cycling duties and rougher tracks. And I'll still have my good bike for CC Ecosse rides.

Wasn't aware you could have an N-1 :wahhey:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
brodie said:
If you are letting the so-called 'flywheel effect' pushing your pedals round then you actually slowing down the bike.
That's me you are quoting and I don't actually ride fixed gear but I know that I struggle riding my singlespeed bike on steepish hills.

What slows me down is the fact that I am overgeared. I can ride up an 8% climb without any problems at all on my multi-geared bikes but struggle to do more than about 100 metres on my 39/15 s/s bike. I'm not fit enough to ride with a high enough cadence in 39/15. My slow cadence means that I struggle to get the cranks 'over the top'.

I've watched longers ride up hills on fixed gear and can see that he has no problem with the dead spot in his pedal stroke. In truth, he is a very strong rider so he'd probably get up a long 8% climb okay in 39/15 with a freewheel too, but I'm sure that he'd find it easier on his fixed gear bike. (longers?)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Coco said:
Sorry didn't make it clear. While the SS/Fixed will replace the hybrid for commuting duties, the hybrid will make a miraculous recovery and become suitable for general cycling duties and rougher tracks. And I'll still have my good bike for CC Ecosse rides.

Wasn't aware you could have an N-1 :blush:

:laugh: COCO! xx(
:smile:

and yes you can have N-1, if a beloved bike goes to bike heaven :sad: or gets nicked by a scumb**:smile:! (or gets sold or given away I suppose :sad:)

quickly followed or preceeded by the "+1" bit of course, depending on the circumstances :biggrin:

T

Top Bottom