stop junk mail+calls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

It does but it won't kick in immediately - one of the lists has to be updated by companies monthly, the other quarterly, I can't remember which but I used to download them sometimes in my last job.

The telephone one works best as they just have to check the number. The problem with the mail one is that variations and spelling mistakes of your name don't count - BT originally got my initials wrong when I signed up for them and I had to register this name separately as I was getting a lot of mail under that name.

TVC

I have the TPS and it keeps virtually all calls away. I did have a spate recently - soon after getting Anglian Windows in to do a quote, so at least I know who sold the database of numbers. I now shut down any cold callers I get by asking who they bought their data from as I believe that my information had been obtained and distributed illegally. They do tend to squirm before agreeing to delete my info.

byegad

Legendary Member
What I like about the TPS is that it gives me the means to attack the caller.

It goes like this.

Caller;
'Hello Mr Byegad, I'm calling from numpty and co. I'd like to ask you a question.'

Me, interrupting.
'How did you get my number?, I'm on the telephone preference service, you shouldn't call me on this number!'

After this the caller either apologises or I launch into Rant Mode. Along the lines of;_

'I'd like to speak to your supervisor and I WILL be reporting you to OFCOM.

This usually does the trick and is VERY enjoyable!

purplepolly

The Velvet Curtain said:
I did have a spate recently - soon after getting Anglian Windows in to do a quote, so at least I know who sold the database of numbers.

That's strange - they're the only one's I've had cold calls off (twice), the caller then tries to claim that I need to re-register for TPS every year which is a total lie. I think they've just decided the law doesn't apply to them when it comes to this - and it is a law - if you're on TPS they can't phone you unless you're a customer.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
TPS used to work very well when initially signed up. It has gradually deteriorated over time so it is getting to as bad as when I signed up.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
marinyork said:
TPS used to work very well when initially signed up. It has gradually deteriorated over time so it is getting to as bad as when I signed up.

Agreed. I'm now getting up to three or four calls a day, despite having been registered with the TPS for over 10 years. A new tactic that seems to work with some persistent callers is to pick the phone up and just put it down on the table. They'll get bored and hang up, but you've tied their line up so they'll not be ablr to make any more outgoing calls until YOU hang up. Leaving the phone for an hour seems to stop the same people ever calling back.

On the other hand, you could try this hilarious tactic!

Try:

"Can you give me the details of your company and the source from which you obtained my details - then I need to speak to your supervisor"

Then follow it with:

"In contacting me your company has breached it'stelecommunications licence and I need the details for a formal complaint."

For some reason they never get past that point.

postman

Legendary Member
After advice on here i joined tps and the calls stopped after about three weeks.It's grand.

I recommend TPS - anyone who then calls is a right cowboy outfit. Even they go as soon as you say you are on TPS.

A good game I have is to say "I charge £20.00 to accept cold callers, do you accept the charge?" They mostly go at that point but if they are a bit thick or didnt listen I start asking them for the billing address. They soon find an excuse and go.

Top Bottom