Stop the clock!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eco Worrier

First rear wheel puncture on the Brom, 40 mins to change the tube!! Is it as hard as it seemed or am I just a bit useless?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
park patches are your friend. leave the wheel and tube insitu. loads quicker.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It gets easier as you get used to it. Slap a pair of Marathons (or pluses) on the thing and you'll rarely need to do it.

Twanger

Über Member
The first time I had a rear puncture on my M6L it took me over an hour. I have had 5 or 6 since then (normal green Brompton tyres). Last one was two weeks ago, and I changed the tube by the side of the road. It took 10 minutes. It's all familiarity.

WRT to Marathons, an experienced cyclist friend at work fitted them. It took him 2 hours to get the damn things on the rims.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Marathons are hard work. I did mine in the workshop, don't fancy having to do them in the wet at the side of the road in the dark.
Getting the wheel on and off is a doddle on my three speed.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There's never a need to repair a Brompton puncture on the road - just call a cab or catch a bus or train. If there's no public transport a Brompton probably isn't the right bike.

I reckon that on the very rare occasions I need to replace a tube (the last one was a couple of years ago) I can do it inside 10 minutes. Someone has recently posted a video of how to mount Marathon pluses; the Brompton's well in the rim makes that trick much easier to apply.

Top Bottom