stopping and starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

When riding in traffic and having to stop completely do you just put your foot down or do you make sure the pedals are in a particular position first? I usually try and stop so that my right foot is in the starting position and put my left foot on the ground.

Sometimes I just cannot do this so end up stopping with the pedals at odd positions, sometimes left foot goes to the floor and sometimes right foot and the foot still on the pedal might be at the 12 o'clock position. Then I have to get the rear wheel up and push the pedal round to get it in the right place ready to start off.

Still using flat pedals at the moment but have got some SPDs and will get some shoes tomorrow so just interested in the best way of stopping and starting on a fixed gear.

Oh, and I have tried trackstanding and I just have not got the balance for it :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Either stop, foot down, lift the rear and swing pedal into possition to set of (this will become second nature in a very short time, if your foot that you want to set of with is at the bottom or rear possition if you just push in the direction you want it to go the wheels momentum will pretty much carry it to where you want it), or learn to skip the back end up and spin the pedals into possition while the wheel is off the ground at low speeds as you stop so your pedals are in a possition ready to pull away. Latter option is easier if you jam the front brake on (you will be crawling by the time you do this so wont flip) and endo slightly.

Or learn to track stand, and become stationary when your chocolate foot is forward. When you get better you will be able to hop the bike around a bit and spin the pedal while the wheels are off the ground to get them into possition quickly if you misjudge the stopping distance.

Learn to trackstand, doing it on fixed is easy. You just need to practice.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its automatic to back pedal as I'm stopping so that my pedal is in the right place to set off again... however if I have to wait ages for a light I usually end up knocking it out of position and sorting it again - sort of a fiddle reflex.

[Opps suddenly realised which forum this was in ... hence why you can't back pedal - sorry for my unhelpful post:blush:]

RedBike

Like you no matter how hard I try I can never seem to stop with my pedals in a sensible position. Although I don't mind which foot I put down or start off with I can't start off unless my pedals are level.

To get your pedals level there are three options.

Option 1
Roll forwards until the the pedals are correct (alas rarely possible)

Option 2
Stop, put the front brake on, push the bike against the front brake so the back wheel lifts and you can turn the pedals freely.

Option 3.
Pedal/ride backwards slowly as part of track stand.

Out of the three options I seem to prefer option 3. Although riding backwards seems to create chaos when your in a group or traffic and the the potential to go arse over tit is all too high.

D

Deleted member 1258

Many moons ago I learned to lift the back of the bike holding the nose of the saddle, I have to step down of the saddle to get a foot down, and swing the pedal into position to ride away. I have been saying for years I will get round to learning to track stand at some point but never seem to find the time.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

That's the way I lift the rear of the bike, by holding the nose of the saddle. I keep trying to track stand in the park but I find it so difficult. I think it's got to be easier just to put a foot down. At least the front wheel is pointing in the right direction.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
RedBike said:
Option 2
Stop, put the front brake on, push the bike against the front brake so the back wheel lifts and you can turn the pedals freely.

Option 2 works for me

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pull front brake, push forward on bars to tip bike forward and rotate crank to preferred position, drop back down. Slightly harder with a full pannier on (like I found out today).....

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

I tried option 2 today but as I do have a pannier it just made the rear end wobble around while I adjusted the pedals. Got the SPD shoes today so I shall have some fun setting up the new pedals later and try again.

Top Bottom