Storing bikes in the 7' x 5' shed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What are the best ways to maximise the bike storage capacity of a 7' x 5' apex roof shed. I have... ahem.... several bikes, plus a couple more for wife and kids. My bikes are all large frames as I'm 6' 2".

1 x ss mtb (currently in bits in 'project' mode)
3 x family members mtbs (one currently for sale one partly dismantled)
1 x road bike
1 x tourer
1 x fixed
1 x mtb

Now they all fit but getting a specific bike in an out is a chore. The shed only has to take bikes, bike tools and bike spares. It's dedicated to bike storage. SWMBO has her own shed with all the garen tools and furniture in. Household/DIY tools are on one of those big plastic locker jobbies.

It looks to me like if I suspended some by the front wheels maybe I could get more room, and possible I could store one above another but the collective CC wisdom is sought on the best route to go down. After all I'm hardly the first person to go down with enplusoneitis am I?.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Don't know as I have a large garage, but I thought I'd bump it up for you

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What are the best ways to maximise the bike storage capacity of a 7' x 5' apex roof shed. I have... ahem.... several bikes, plus a couple more for wife and kids. My bikes are all large frames as I'm 6' 2".

1 x ss mtb (currently in bits in 'project' mode)
3 x family members mtbs (one currently for sale one partly dismantled)
1 x road bike
1 x tourer
1 x fixed
1 x mtb

Now they all fit but getting a specific bike in an out is a chore. The shed only has to take bikes, bike tools and bike spares. It's dedicated to bike storage. SWMBO has her own shed with all the garen tools and furniture in. Household/DIY tools are on one of those big plastic locker jobbies.

It looks to me like if I suspended some by the front wheels maybe I could get more room, and possible I could store one above another but the collective CC wisdom is sought on the best route to go down. After all I'm hardly the first person to go down with enplusoneitis am I?.

I suspect the answer (not knowing what that e-word is and I can't be bothered to look it up knowing that someone else here will know without having to look it up) - sorry where was I ... the answer is ............. give away a couple of them ... I'll have the tourer if you like
biggrin.gif

Currently we have 5 in our 8x6 shed but its also got the DIY equipement, lawnmower, 2 shredders etc as well... we have one hanging from the apex but I find it a pain in the neck ... and basically hit it most times getting my own bike out. We have optimized the 3 daily used ones to be the easiest to get out ... but its a tight squeeze and I hate having to put my bike away in the dark after being to the pub when it all becomes just a bit more complex. There have also been times when I've had to phone the house on my mobile to get someone to rescue me if I actually knock down the suspended bike
blush.gif

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I had 3 bikes in my old house, filling an area previously occupied by a fridge/freezer. Broadly speaking, 3 x wheel hooks, two outer bikes stored front wheel up, middle one inverted (which is awkward as hell to load).

Something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Wall_Rack/5360026439/

Through careful positioning, you can avoid handlebar interference, and repeat the pattern as far as you need. Depending on the construction of your shed, you might need to add some mounting battens between the existing joists to maximise the flexibility.

The only issue (I think) is that some suspension forks don't like to be inverted, and that they're generally expecting compression rather than something tugging the front wheel away.

MartinC

Über Member
The most efficient way in terms of space is to hang them (assuming normal road bikes) from the wheels. Alternate the hooks high/low by about 25cm and alternate the bikes front wheel up and rear wheel up. You can put the hooks on 30cm centres. You'll need about 2m height to make this work.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Can you not just get another shed? - a chap can't have too many sheds.

or maybe just something bigger than the one you've got, solid brick walls, electric doors, space for 15 bikes hanging seperately plus tool/workshop area, bike stand....no wait sorry that would be a garage.....

I think Arallsops idea has the best chance, some sort of mix of ceiling hooks, wall mounts and floor stands. So bikes hanging vertically across back, horizontally on wall mounts at sides and the upright in floor stands in between the rear vertical hangers. Theoretically the floor stand ones could be wheeled out by anyone but the hanging bikes would probably need a bit of strength to unhook, and get out, without crashing the whole lot.

It's hard to envisage but I'm thinking 2/3 hanging at rear, 2/3 upright in stands and 2/4 on side walls(only 4 if you can get one above the other).

chugsy

Loosen the stems and rotate the bars 90 degrees - this'll enable you to slide the bikes in and out at leisure.  Maybe nail some lengths of wood to the floor to act as runners?  The stem thing I saw at JEJames - maximised floor space no end.

Top Bottom