Straight Bars v Drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
hondated said:
you would like me to set up a poll I will but you will need to tell me how I do it I am afraid.

AFAIK one cannot start a poll once you have posted your thread. The only chance you get is when posting your thread. I might not be right but I'm never wrong.

rh100

hondated said:
you would like me to set up a poll I will but you will need to tell me how I do it I am afraid.

If you click 'Thread Tools' in the toolbar just above the post, there is an option to add a poll to this thread.

I haven't set one up before, but I think it's just a case of adding some options for people to select.

Could include for example:

1/ Prefer Drop bar - have tried alternatives
2/ Prefer Flat Bar - have tried alternatives
3/ Prefer Butterfly Bar - have tried alternatives
4/ Ride Drop bar - never tried an alternative
5/ Ride Flat Bar - never tried alternative
6/ Ride Butterfly Bar - never tried alternative

This might show whether drop bars are popular through choice or because it's more of a standard maybe?

I am not really sure why when this subject reappears that there is so much polarization of opinion – road style touring bikes tend to come with drop bars – hybrids or mountain bike style touring bikes tend to come with flat bars – most quality expedition touring bikes come with the option -

Assuming that you can achieve a comfortable geometry and a practical way of operating the controls there is no reason why either sort of bar cannot be fitted to almost any sort of touring bike - for touring it is what is most comfortable over a long period for the individual.

But to state categorically that one or the other is best or that one or another is “a far better option” for somewhat spurious reasons is laughable. (and Crankarm I am sorry if I have picked out your post – particularly as you had been so reasonable above - but It was difficult to ignore)

Crankarm said:
If flat bars with or without bar ends or those butterfly bars were so comfortable then why aren't all the Pro riders using them as they ride thousands of miles in a year? Since they don't I rest my case.
+1 Anthony - "I don't know if you meant that as a joke, but pros don't use drop bars for their comfort, it is because they offer much better aerodynamics". - and is there not something in the rules about that sort of thing.

Crankarm said:
With a flat bar even with bar ends one's wrists are constantly bent at 90 degrees thus restricting blood flow to the hands causing numbness or pins and kneedles which I have even found occuring in my elbows if riding for many hours in the saddle on my flat bar bike with bar ends. However, riding on the hoods of drop bars your lower arm and wrist are in line, thus not bent, allowing blood to easily flow to your hands and there is little pressure on the palms. Like wise if one actually uses the drops themselves.

I cannot visualise the 90°wrist thing - I have three flat bar bikes and nice straight wrists when riding them – perhaps a course on bike set up is required.

I used to get much worse pins and needles to the point of the loss of motor control loss in my hands and wrists when riding a drop barred bike – change of bike and position sorted it to a point – everybody is different – now I am a middle aged portly geezer my preference for a long comfortable ride is a flat barred bike.
Crankarm said:
Flat bars are fine for short leisure cycling a mile or two to the shops but for serious touring drops are a far better option.
I would not consider myself a serious tourer – more sort of a whimsical tourer - but I have done over 56000km touring on flat barred bikes over the last 15years - I am sure there a many other riders of dropped bar bikes can say the same.

My next set of bars (the existing one are probably getting a bit time expired) will probably be some sort of butterfly when I can find a set that puts the control section well forward of the headset end of the stem without fitting an excessively long stem - will suit the geometry I want to achieve for a comfortable ride with my existing bike.

blockend

Drops are good for touring but best if the drop is shallow and the stem rise is high. My drops are roughly in line with the top tube and the brake hoods level with the top of the saddle. On my camper I've installed interrupter levers too, so it's possible to be within squeezing distance of the brakes in different positions.

You can't have too many positions on tour and I use all the ones the bars allow. In the end it's all about personal preference: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KbZykc4U2...Travels_with_rosinante_bernard_magnouloux.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
psmiffy - it got a lot of response. Job done ;).

But only 56,000km touring. Surely you're a novice tourer? Only kidding, that's equivalent to a few RTWs. Respect.

rh100

bromptonfb said:
this is interesting....but i do disagree.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/components/bars_and_tape

i HAVE to have ergon 2's on my bikes to relieve numbness and i do ride my brompton and mtb quite far. so i assume as i can't fit ergons on drops that drops would be no good for me

I have something similar on my hybrid but without the upright ends, the shape of them helps but I find the pressure on the flat part keeps pushing the grips down, and I constantly have to twist it back into position.

There are these available for the cross bar of drop handlebars: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=17602

Cyclesense

There is a definite increase in the amount of interest that we are getting regarding butterfly bars..I prefer to call them multi-position bars...'butterfly' has a feminine inclination and the majority of macho cyclists like to be as butch as possible!
Koga supply the bars as standard equipment on the Traveller and Randonneur and most of the Koga Signature custom built bikes that are ordered are specced with multi-position bars together with the super comfy and long lasting exclusive Koga leather grips.
Humpert manufacture around 10 different shapes and we are now seeing a demand for these trekking bars too.

Top Bottom