Strange creases on sidewalls of tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello

I'm running Schwalbe Big Apple on my Dahon folder. THis morning at the station I noticed that the rear tyre has strange tangential creases on both sidewalls. They emerge from under the rim, and peter out about 1/3 of the way around, in the treaded area. They're between 2 and 3cm apart and as you're looking at the tyre, they go towards the back of the bike.

There's nothing rubbing that could have made the marks and they are remarkably regular. They really look as if the sidewall is creasing at regular intervals. I've never seen anything like it before.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Cheers

domtyler

Über Member
A picture may help.

skwerl

there may well be something at regular intervals that's inserted in the s/wall for strength. Could be that it's giving the appearance of a crease

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I used to have some tyres that did something like this. the sidewalls were so thin that they would deform under pressure leaving these strange marks all over the sidewall.

barq

I had something similar to what Steve is describing happen with some MTB tyres. I was running them at quite a low pressure to get more grip and the continual flexing of the sidewalls as they deformed over objects caused marks like you describe.

OP
OP
T
I think I've worked it out. As Barq implies, the tyres were at lower pressure than optimal the other day. I've pumped it up and the creases are not developing. I guess it's the sidewall creasing on cornering. Thanks for input.

Top Bottom