Strange noise possibly from rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've a real puzzle. Over recent weeks my bike clatters, Yet everything I have checked is firmly secured. The clattering noise seems to be coming from my rear wheel. Has anyone got any ideas so I can investigate further ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds often come from somewhere other than where you think!

List what you have already checked and perhaps we can spot something that you have overlooked.

presta

Guru
What affects it? Does it go if you stop pedalling, will it show up whilst the bike's on a work stand, what if you thump the bike with your hand in various places etc.

If the mudguard's poorly adjusted it might be chattering against the tyre, they can twang about quite a bit when the bike's in motion, even if the fixings are tight. Chainguards can rattle too if you have one, and for the same reason.

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Sounds often come from somewhere other than where you think!

List what you have already checked and perhaps we can spot something that you have overlooked.

Thanks Colin; my mudguards and the cranks of my pedals are firm. The wheels are turning without rubbing against the disc brakes. I've checked the jockey wheels and they are firm. The chain seems fine. The only thing I have fond is the rear cassette is not as firm as it should be - i.e. is can be moved slightly towards and from the spokes. For todats ride I took everything off the bike; bags, bottles and pump and still the clattering continues.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The only thing I have fond is the rear cassette is not as firm as it should be - i.e. is can be moved slightly towards and from the spokes.

Ah - I had that on my cousin's bike, which I borrowed when on holiday in Scotland. It turned out that he had forgotten to put a very thin spacer on. I can't remember when the spacers are needed, something to do with an x-speed cassette on a y-speed freehub!

I found THIS ARTICLE on the subject, which might help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Ah - I had that on my cousin's bike, which I borrowed when on holiday in Scotland. It turned out that he had forgotten to put a very thin spacer on. I can't remember when the spacers are needed, something to do with an x-speed cassette on a y-speed freehub!

I found THIS ARTICLE on the subject, which might help?

I think this must be the reason for my noise. Until recently a spoke protector was fitted between the cassette and the spokes which broke off. So the noise must be due to the space that the spoke protector has left. Many thanks for you guidance - Joe

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I think this must be the reason for my noise. Until recently a spoke protector was fitted between the cassette and the spokes which broke off. So the noise must be due to the space that the spoke protector has left. Many thanks for you guidance - Joe

Before you put effort into fixing it, check whether the noise still happens if you ride stood up. If the noise is not present less likely to be the protector.

Have you checked to see of part of the protector is still there rattling around?

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Before you put effort into fixing it, check whether the noise still happens if you ride stood up. If the noise is not present less likely to be the protector.

Have you checked to see of part of the protector is still there rattling around?

Thanks for the guidance, I've just checked and can't see any remnants of the spoke protector. I'm going for a ride later tonight so will check whether the noise is still present when standing.

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

The bike shop stopped the cassette from moving & I went for a decent ride this afternoon. Thanks to your advice the bike is now fixed !

Ajax Bay

Guru
Until recently a spoke protector was fitted between the cassette and the spokes which broke off. So the noise must be due to the space that the spoke protector has left. Many thanks for you guidance - Joe
Glad you have had it fixed although you/we still don't know what was allowing the cassette to 'move'. A spoke protector will have no element acting as a 'spacer' on the freehub so its break-off / loss should make no difference.
Did your LBS just tighten the cassette lockring? How many speed cassette?

OP
OP
H

harlechjoe

Glad you have had it fixed although you/we still don't know what was allowing the cassette to 'move'. A spoke protector will have no element acting as a 'spacer' on the freehub so its break-off / loss should make no difference.
Did your LBS just tighten the cassette lockring? How many speed cassette?

11 speed cassette lockring was tightened up.

Top Bottom