Strange phrases and their origins.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Strewth !
Doesn't that originate in Australia?

Another that comes from there is "Chunder" which many might not be familiar with - to be sick, vomit.
Originated from when people were transported to Australia by ship and were sea sick. Started as "watch out under".

D

Deleted member 1258

Another that comes from there is "Chunder" which many might not be familiar with - to be sick, vomit.
Originated from when people were transported to Australia by ship and were sea sick. Started as "watch out under".

Yes I think strewth is Australian.

I think it’s a great word, carries more emotion than “vomit” as it’s nearly an onomatopoeia

gbb

Legendary Member
Speaking of chunder and vomit, i used to love the term...technicolour yawn :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Speaking of chunder and vomit, i used to love the term...technicolour yawn :laugh:
Another one from Barry Humphries character Barry McKenzie.

hqdefault~2.jpg

Reactions: gbb

figbat

Slippery scientist
Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

An old naval thing, where cast iron cannon balls were kept stacked on a brass frame to stop them from rolling around, but of course, metal contracts when it is cold. And brass contracts more than iron, so the balls would fall off the frame...

Sorry

”It is often stated that the phrase originated from the use of a brass tray, called a "monkey", to hold cannonballs on warships in the 16th to 18th centuries. Supposedly, in very cold temperatures the "monkey" would contract, causing the balls to fall off.[13] However, nearly all historians and etymologists consider this story to be a myth. This story has been discredited by the U.S. Department of the Navy,[14] etymologist Michael Quinion, and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).[15]

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry

”It is often stated that the phrase originated from the use of a brass tray, called a "monkey", to hold cannonballs on warships in the 16th to 18th centuries. Supposedly, in very cold temperatures the "monkey" would contract, causing the balls to fall off.[13] However, nearly all historians and etymologists consider this story to be a myth. This story has been discredited by the U.S. Department of the Navy,[14] etymologist Michael Quinion, and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).[15]

I was gonna say that that's one of those stories that I've heard many times, and don't believe at all.

Sorry

Hey ho, every day is a school day.

The materials science behind it is entirely sound, however.

Top Bottom