Strange places you've repaired your bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
What a fantastic story!!!

Thanks!

It always pleases me when I think back to that escapade and the people who helped me out.

Thanks!

It always pleases me when I think back to that escapade and the people who helped me out.
There's a lot of layers to that story;
First of all, there's the fact that most people want to help, something that's easy to forget, even if all the help is not the best!
Secondly, there's the thrill of meeting the very people who made your bike in the first place! I'd be willing to bet, it was a big deal for them too!
As small businesses close or amalgamate, as manufacturing goes abroad and the disconnect between maker and user grows for the benefit of neither, I believe.
Finally, it's just a great story - accident, disaster, potential solution, even bigger disaster, bigger problem - all solved and with grace and some style. Inspiration for all us in there. ^_^

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Secondly, there's the thrill of meeting the very people who made your bike in the first place! I'd be willing to bet, it was a big deal for them too!
As small businesses close or amalgamate, as manufacturing goes abroad and the disconnect between maker and user grows for the benefit of neither, I believe.

Absolutely - they were pleased to see a frame coming 'home' from afar, albeit briefly, and it made them all the more keen to solve the misfortune of someone who'd made the effort to search them out and had been putting their handbuilt product to good use!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
"More than once?"

Daily commuter but too far from station for it to be a year round daily ride so I drove. The Brompton stayed in car overnight and occasionally I'd pull it out and find a flat tyre.

Front is easily repairable with bike sat up 'on its haunches' and leaned against train's door vestibule wall. Matter of pride to have completed the job and resumed my seat before first stop at Wolverton.

If it was rear then it got left concealed in car boot and repair was done at home.

Drago

Legendary Member
In a cell ar a police custody block.

presta

Guru
Not a strange location for the repair (a pavement in Tring), but the shoe shop was a strange place to buy the replacement tyre. I arrived in town with an urgent need for one, asked the first cyclist I saw, and that was where he directed me.

Top Bottom