Strange wheel build from Wilkinson wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Question about this wheel below. It has a non-disc freehub and a disc rim. Why would such a wheel be built and what brake system would be compatible with it? Just seems a strange wheel build. I bid for the wheel on ebay and assumed the rim would be rim brake compatible and just wasn't clear in the photos but it is a disc rim for sure and has a curved surface. I will change the rim to rim brake compatible, I have a freewheel based wheel that I don't use that has a good rim brake compatible rim and is also 32 spoke 26" which I'm hoping will be directly compatible with the spoke length of this. However I still can't get my head around why someone would build such a wheel. It can't take roller brakes, disc brakes or rim brakes. It's a legal requirement to have a braking system on both wheels. You can't make it fixed gear with a freehub. What application would such a wheel be used for? The wheel was made by Wilkinson wheels and I can only assume it was made incorrectly with the wrong rim. The rim is great quality and seems above what I would expect for such a wheel. The freehub hub is entry level but the rim looks very nicely made indeed and even comes with what appears to be a tubeless compatible thick rim tape insert perfectly designed for this rim. The rim is Ryde Rival 19. I feel if the person building the wheel can't work out which rim to use perhaps the wheel build is a bit suspect anyway. I've never replaced a whole rim before but have done quite a few replacement spokes in my time and have the right tools to build a wheel just have never built one.

wheel.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Dunno but eBay is just the place to get rid of a frankenwheel with an 'econmical' description where someone might get taken in and assume it was a rim brake.

Velochris

Über Member
Did the advert not say somewhere if it was rim or disc? If described incorrectly then ask for a return.

The only other use I can think for it would be for a wheel on turbo trainer.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
B
Did the advert not say somewhere if it was rim or disc? If described incorrectly then ask for a return.

The only other use I can think for it would be for a wheel on turbo trainer.

I'm happy with the wheel for the price I paid as I can make use of the rim and hub by swapping them. The rim seems very nice and I have a shimano disc hub that needed a rim and rim brake rim fitted to a basic freewheel threaded hub. Turbo trainer is actually something I hadn't thought of but I think it is a frankenwheel which someone made by mistake.

OP
OP
B
Dunno but eBay is just the place to get rid of a frankenwheel with an 'econmical' description where someone might get taken in and assume it was a rim brake.

Yes I assumed it was a rim brake rim even though it looked like a disc rim purely because I couldn't see why it would be fitted with a disc brake rim and not have a rotor fitting. I didn't bid too high because I was uncertain and its a brand new wheel with a new rim and new freehub its just they shouldn't be connected to each other.

Top Bottom