Strapless toe clips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

After commuting almost daily for the past couple of months, I decided that I would get some strapless toe clips to help me position my feet properly.

Wow! What a difference. From "flat out" at 22mph before I'd spin a foot off, to 28.5mph and still accelerating with clips. My journey time (inbound) went from a personal best of 33 minutes over 7.5 miles to 30 minutes "trying out" today. And my return was done in 33 minutes compared to PB of 38 minutes as it's quite draggy in places. Commute is Redditch-Bordesley-Alvechurch-Hopwood-Lea End Lane-Wast Hill Lane and onto the lovely Hawkesley estate. Sure some of you will know the terrain.

Next pocket money day.... SPDs!

mumbo jumbo

I ride those roads. Not for commuting but South of Bham is generally my direction of travel when I head out into the country.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
What's wrong with SPDs or something similar?

Oops missed the last bit,sorry.

I can recommend SPD's.:thumbsup:

From 27 Sep,7 commutes before the tour I will be wearing my yellow mavic SPD shoes,to make sure they are ok for the tour.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Clipless is the way to go, I've used them for over a year and love the feeling of being "one" with the bike. Also your feet don't slip off during the wet or humid weather.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Decided to remove the strapless clips over the weekend, in the belief that I had learned to ride with my feet in the correct position. I also wanted to ride in any old shoes available - and not just ones with smooth soles. Bad idea. Being not attached slowed me down by about 10%, and I felt a lot more twitchy.

The toe clips are now back on, and on further testing have found they have now softened up slightly that I can get shoes with grippy bottoms to go in. I quite fancy SPDs once I can convince myself that I've done enough mileage with the toe clips and ally pedals to justify their initial cost....

D

Deleted member 1258

Clipless is the way to go, I've used them for over a year and love the feeling of being "one" with the bike. Also your feet don't slip off during the wet or humid weather.

I have toeclips on my fixed and cliples on my geared bike, I find there's very little between them, I personally prefer the toeclips, One of the things I like about the toeclips is not being restricted to cycle shoes, I can wear any boots or shoes I want, I wear steel toe capped boots when commuting and save myself the faff of having to change footwear twice a day.

Longshot

I've got strapless toeclips on my bike and I'm quite happy with them. Despite the reassurances, I'm not convinced about moving to clipless. The toeclips keep your feet in place just fine - there may not be quite the same energy transfer on the upstroke but there seems to be some debate on that subject anyway.

The only thing I will change is which toeclips I have fitted as the ones I have are a bit too long and catch on the ground if they're hanging down.

Top Bottom