Straps for large duffle roller bag to rear cargo rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ishaqmir

Hi, please see attached photos. I am thinking of purchasing the large 90 litre duffle for my work needs but need advice on most secure and hassle-free way of securing it to the rear rack so that I don’t waste time getting in and out of each patient’s house.

The dedicated Tern rear shortbread tray won’t work as it’s a eurocrate size of 600mmx400mm and the duffle is larger than that.

The rack at the rear is very strong, I just need to ensure the duffle stays put when riding. I do have the Tern Cargo Batten straps but have not yet figured out a way to use them so that the duffle doesn’t move around...

Attachments

• E0C03571-33AD-4051-8AF2-F8E87B6B6DF9.jpeg
    E0C03571-33AD-4051-8AF2-F8E87B6B6DF9.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 0D68A1B2-846A-4435-B504-35BD89439BD7.jpeg
    0D68A1B2-846A-4435-B504-35BD89439BD7.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1
  • E6EEE098-62B9-4675-BFC6-00EF62BCC7A0.jpeg
    E6EEE098-62B9-4675-BFC6-00EF62BCC7A0.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1
I would try to avoid the traditional approach - normal bungees - they are rarely the right length/tension, so you end up having to loop them under the rack for tension - fiddly and carries the risk of them rebounding into your eye.
I would check out Rokstraps, as used by motorcyclists.
https://rokstraps.com/
Different sizes available.
Usually come in pairs.
Each is two parts linked by a fastener - each part loops through opposite ends of the rack so no way the strap/rack interface is going to fail.
Part of the strap is elasticated so you attach the two bits to opposite ends of the rack with strap to spare, click the straps together, then tension up.
I have carried a mountain of stuff on the back of a touring cycle with these.
If you are just popping in somewhere, you can leave the two ends of each strap attached to the rack.

I sometimes add a pair of these.
https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/nite_iz...MIyfH_pYLU6gIVB7LtCh0NHAupEAQYAyABEgK_vfD_BwE

Adjustable bungees - no need to loop the bungee under the rack - just adjust so the requisite amount of bungee is on across the top of the luggage. As you will see they lock onto the rack.

If you must go the bungee route and risk your eyesight there is a short term offer from PlanetX here - I haven't checked if the lengths suit your needs.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPODBCS/podsacs-premium-bungee-cord-set

Nylon QR straps.
Wide loads on the rack top can benefit from some wings on the rack. I used to wire on a plywood extender for big stuff eg bags of plaster.

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

Fantastic replies, thank you both for that. Yes I think a plywood base wood be good, I was thinking of drilling 4 slits into the plywood so that I could use small nylon buckle straps to secure it easily to the rack from underneath? I need a quick release method really as I’m always using a click fix seat pad and baby chair together on that rear rack for my kids when not at work.

Top Bottom