Strategic voting, democracy and change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When you fail to vote or spoil your vote, you might end up pushing a candidate that you least favoured to represent you.
  • It might be wise to vote for the best of the lot even if they are all are well below expectation.
  • Alternatively vote the party that comes closest to meeting your country and your needs.
  • If that too fails, pick the party that is likely to deliver the best leader (PM) of the lot.
The first past the post system is a poor system but it still democratic to some extent. And there is still some good men and women in the mix.

Do make your vote count.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When I was at Uni the anarchists graffiti'd a wall with "If your vote made any difference, they'd take it away from you." Never seen anything to persuade me otherwise.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
When I was at Uni the anarchists graffiti'd a wall with "If your vote made any difference, they'd take it away from you." Never seen anything to persuade me otherwise.
How about "If you don't vote, then UKIP will get another MP"..because the lunatics will be out, voting fervrently. Think about it, the UK governed by Daily Wail readers...

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
In the present political climate of uncertainty, you can't be sure that whether you vote for Labour, Conservatives, Green or who ever that that choice won't allow UKIP to take the seat.
Say they beat Labour by one vote and you voted Conservative, you will spend the next 5 years regretting voting Labour. Much better to vote according to you views and conscience and sleep content that you tried your best.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Here's the constituency stats for Lancaster and Fleetwood, which I assume is where you are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_and_Fleetwood_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

UKIP are most likely to have influence by propping up David Cameron and his silver-spoon Tories, so since Labour was a close second last time I suggest you vote Labour. For most people in the country, a Labour vote is also the one that will give them the best personal outcome - because there's a hairsbreadth between the economic policies of the only two parties with a credible chance of forming a government, but Labour is marginally more likely to enact economic policies that support most of the country, and is also less likely to implement stupidly divisive social policies.
Not sure who to vote for this time round... all i know is i won't be voting UKIP and am very much tempted to vote against them, which i think they call strategic or tactical voting. but being a bit dim, where would a vote against UKIP best be cast?

I have a general distrust of politicians and often abstain from voting, but that's not going to change anything. How can democracy bring about change when all we can do is vote for politicians?

So ideally you'd like a straight vote for or against UKIP, like the in or out of the EU vote we've been patiently waiting for?

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
So ideally you'd like a straight vote for or against UKIP, like the in or out of the EU vote we've been patiently waiting for?
No - I was responding to MontyVeda's desire to keep UKIP out of influence.

Personally I'd like a properly democratic voting system so that what matters isn't the votes of the few tens of thousands who live in marginal constituencies. I'd also like to minimise the risk of getting another Conservative-dominated government.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
David Cameron and his silver-spoon Tories,
Labour might not have as many at present, but will be catching up fast after the next election.
20150207_woc057.png

Due in some way by the Labour cabinet ministers who have put their children before party conviction and sent their kids to private schools. I can't see why anyone would vote for a party that has the doctrine "do as I say, not as I do" (and that's at least the main 3)

Tin Pot

Guru
Not sure who to vote for this time round... all i know is i won't be voting UKIP and am very much tempted to vote against them, which i think they call strategic or tactical voting. but being a bit dim, where would a vote against UKIP best be cast?

I have a general distrust of politicians and often abstain from voting, but that's not going to change anything. How can democracy bring about change when all we can do is vote for politicians?

Vote for a representative , not a party.

If you think professional politician is a bad idea, vote for someone who doesn't know anything about the system but you like the look of.

Have you found out who your candidates are? I posted a thread on it a few weeks ago.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Labour might not have as many at present, but will be catching up fast after the next election.
20150207_woc057.png

Due in some way by the Labour cabinet ministers who have put their children before party conviction and sent their kids to private schools. I can't see why anyone would vote for a party that has the doctrine "do as I say, not as I do" (and that's at least the main 3)
If you think private education is the same as silver-spoon Conservatism, I'm afraid you're a long way from the truth.

D

Deleted member 26715

I vote for the person who will most reflect my views in Westminster.
That is what I would like to do, but it doesn't work that way, as I see it there is an issue (doesn't matter what the issue) the local constituency all get together & inform the local MP he/she has to vote No, the party then puts a 3 line whip (I think it's called) on the vote & informs the MP he/she has to vote Yes.

What is the point in democracy in this situation.

brand

I will be more than voting again this year I will be delivering leaflets. Took me 2 days last time on my bike to deliver to my village only 98 houses spread out a bit but all the same 2 days. As I will be doing considerably more next time I will be delivering when people are out.....but as a considerable amount are retired that is going to be hard! Far to many things to discuss in rural areas, the shoot (5 or 6 nearby) their dog, the pub, good foraging and of course whose died recently. Never get round to the EU.

Top Bottom