Strava route planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazzin

Ive started using Strava route planner with my Garmin 200. For those familiar with Strava, I'm using the popular function meaning it will find routes which are popular with other cyclists. But I was unsure what kind of roads the route would take me on. As a beginner I'm not too keen to be cycling on roads where the speed limit is 50 or over. I.e. Would prefer 40 or less. Is there anyway possible to find out the speed limits on roads either an option on strava to avoid certain roads or maybe something on the net?

moo

With the same trepidation at first my solution was to open google streetmap in another window and look at various points along a planned route.

The speed limit rarely relates to how cycle friendly a road is. I find it safer on country roads with a 60mph speed limit than most of the 40mph roads around here.

If you want to see speed limits this map will help:

http://www.itoworld.com/map/5

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I prefer the RideWithGPS planner to Strava's (although I find Strava has more believeable gradients). What would be very useful is if you could plan a route on RWGPS, download the file then upload it to Strava and save it as a planned route. But you can't.

Totally agree that Ride withGPS is a much better option for planning routes and also that a speed limit on a road does not give a true reflection of how cycle friendly it is.
I too would much rather ride on a lot of the 60mph roads around here than a lot of the 40 mph! If you have a good idea of where you will be looking at going then check out the segment explore in that region. This will give a good starting point for you to find the popular sections/roads via the riders and their profiles/saved routes.

I tend to use google maps for the first part of my route plan. You can enter a start and destination, and hit the cycle icon. It brings up all the cycle specific routes on the planned journey, as green lines. Then I ride the route, and Strava it. Then I fine tune the route with Strava. Strangely, I've had plenty of near misses / been fired off the bike on the lower limit roads. The most incident free rides have been on trunk / A roads. I think it's because the sight of a bicycle, being ridden on the (A34 between Newbury and Oxford for example) is so unusual, the motorists tend to notice you more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom