Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowbarry

Regular
So how many of you use the Strava app on your phones?

How reliable is it? My commute takes me though the clyde tunnel will this muck up the data from my ride because it uses gps?

mattobrien

Guru
I find it is pretty much spot on average speed wise when compared to my cycle computer - it might be 0.1mph out, but I think that is an acceptable tolerance.

As for using it through a tunnel, I guess you will have to try it and see. It will track you before you go and and pick you up when you come out, so it may just lose accurate speed variances and elevation in the tunnel itself.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i use it and have only had 1 instance of it not recording my ride properly (dropped GPS twice through a sector so mucked up my PB) but the ride data was spot on
i use endomondo and Strava at the same time on my phone

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
my commute is short so use them both on that, (8 miles each way) normally 30 mins and 8-12% battery loss i use a ericsson experia arc. saying that the 25 milers ive done have only taken 15-20% over 2 ish hours. i spose it also depends on signal as searching for signal i find eats battery but the GPS doesnt seem to suck up that much!

the real test will be in a few weeks when i do my charity ride (100+ miles on the first day!)

Barry, I don't know how your phone GPS is set up but my Edge 305 GPS will autopause going into a tunnel, in other words it simply switches off and doesn't record that section. If yours does similar it won't be affected but the tunnel length (0.5mile?) will be missing from your data.

OP
OP
glasgowbarry

glasgowbarry

Regular
Yeah used it going though the tunnel today. The timer still runs but i dont get any of the elevation data. Its quite a handy wee app. Thanks for the advice guys ^_^

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have just started using Strava but it seems to me that it doesn't have an auto-pause feature, is this right? Avg speed in Strava always shows about 1mph or so slower than my Edge605, for the rides I have done, so far...

I have just started using Strava but it seems to me that it doesn't have an auto-pause feature, is this right? Avg speed in Strava always shows about 1mph or so slower than my Edge605, for the rides I have done, so far...

It shows moving time and elapsed time but the calculation to take one from the other doesn't seem to work well, so yes, often it shows your speed slower than it really is. Join the CC club quackers.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think the difference (for me) is bigger becuase most of my time spent riding is stop-start. Eg, I go through approx 50 sets of lights on my 10.5 mile commute (not RLJ, you understand :biggrin: ). Elapsed time vs moving time would be less of an issue if I rode more 'in the sticks'...

Cracks - is there a cyclechat 'club' on Strava then? It came up empty when I searched. I tried cyclechat / cc and turned off the cycling selection to show all clubs but no joy. If there isn't one maybe we should create one?

siadwell

Guru
I don't use Strava, but I use Endomondo and BikeBrain at the same time.

I find Endomondo's auto-pause function troublesome (e.g. slow to pause at lights, starts off again if don't keep motionless whilst taking a break) and have started to favour BikeBrain, which doesn't pause but logs both elapsed and ride time and works out distances and speeds for both. From the couple of times I've used these and the bike computer together, I'd say BikeBrain's ride values are similar to the computer, with Endomondo some way off.