Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just tried to build a route for a 35 mile-ish ride. My first attempt.

Not that I needed directions but I wanted an accurate idea of distance/elevation.

And I hit a glitch straight away - at a dual carriageway roundabout it appears impossible to get from one side to the other.

Every time I try, the software creates a loop of about 3 miles of country lanes to get me approx' 100m in the direction I want to go.

Not very helpful!

Is there anything I can do about this?

Is this what the mapping software is generally like or have I just been unlucky with my first attempt?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Try ridewithgps :thumbsup:

U

User33236

I've never used Strava to create routes so can't help there. Have you tried mapmyride instead?

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Just tried it in Garmin Connect and it does the same thing!

Roundabout has existed for at least two decades as far as I know.

I have solved my estimation problem by creating two routes - one either side of the roundabout!

Will try the two mentioned in previous posts - thank you.

I hate clunky stuff! :cursing:

Peteaud

Veteran
I think its the way google mapped it. Down here there is a bridge that wont let you cross it according to most route planners. The work round is to either uncheck follow roads, if you have that option, or click either side of the object, rb, bridge etc.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I think its the way google mapped it. Down here there is a bridge that wont let you cross it according to most route planners. The work round is to either uncheck follow roads, if you have that option, or click either side of the object, rb, bridge etc.

@Peteaud - thanks for the uncheck roads tip.

@jack smith - likewise.

Will give them a shot after I have cooked/eaten tea!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Did you select follow roads? You may have to turn this off, especially if you're leaving a cycle path to join the road.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Thanks - that worked ie 'Follow Roads' off.

I know GC doesn't get much love (at least the modern version) but the mapping was much faster than in Strava which keeps throwing up a 'wait while we save the route' message for every waypoint. Maybe I have done something wrong again?

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
The way I got around this was to actually cycle the route I wanted and then save that route as a saved route.

Obviously, I knew where I was going. This could be a problem if you don't!

Think the Strava route planner is still in Beta mode;I've had a few where it won't let you go on certain roads the Cambridge guided busway being a prime example so I just keep sending them messages when I come across any faults.

Edit!

Just tried the manual feature and although it's a bit clunky it works! Thanks to the above for the tip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Have set up an account with RWGPS so will give that a run out.

Tried Strava again today and I got a fair way through a route when the grey "please wait a moment while Strava calculates your route" box came up and it froze.

Did it again and it froze.

Not impressed thus far with Strava Beta for route planning.

Last edited: