Streetfilms visits Groningen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
(Sighs wistfully) I wish my town looked a bit more like that. We've had several proposals for reducing the amount of traffic in the town centre (none as drastic as that)and making it a more pleasant place but everytime the backlash is quite vociferous.

Folk aren't in love with their cars anymore, they're addicted to them.:sad:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
(Sighs wistfully) I wish my town looked a bit more like that. We've had several proposals for reducing the amount of traffic in the town centre (none as drastic as that)and making it a more pleasant place but everytime the backlash is quite vociferous.

Folk aren't in love with their cars anymore, they're addicted to them.:sad:
I spent a pleasant weekend in Shrewsbury last winter but it took forever to cross the road near the black and white hotel (whose name escapes me!) we stayed in.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I've been in Groningen few times in the past as my daughter spent a year there at uni. It is an amazing city. When you step off the train and see the multi-level bike parking areas and bikes locked to any available spce. Town centre is almost bike-only and man orbital route has proper bike lanes and traffic lights for cyclists.

When I went with daughter to buy a bike, the shop staff spoke perfect English (even technical bike bits) and gave the advice, but a second hand bike for aroind 30 euros but spend twice that on a lock!

Thank you [I think] for that snorri made us quite wistful watching that, should be compulsory Government viewing. We were there about 7 weeks ago touring the Netherlands on our bikes, unfortunately it poured down for our Groningen stop but we will be going back. I wrote a travelogue on our trip on CC and you can see now why we miss the Netherlands so much.
Not a helmet in sight :smile:, it's wonderful.

Chappy

Guru
Wow that video really puts Weymouth to Shame were the best you get at the moment it a mouthful from some irate car driver. The best part for cycle commuting off road is the Rodwell trail.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there are bits that are nice, and bits that are ghastly. The cycle paths between the footpath and the parked cars is just horrible, and the cycle path in the IKEA car park comic. By and large, though, it's just dull.

Top Bottom