Strength training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The embarrassing thing is that my wife can generally shoulder press more than me. I put it down to my having much longer arms and therefore mechanical advantage ... I have to move the weight further ... blah blah ... obviously it's easier for her. Nothing at all to do with my weedy arms and shoulders. Fortunately we don't have chin-up bars at home so she can't show off on those - she's ridiculously good at it.

Don't worry - my wife has incredibly powerful legs. Stronger than mine!

Marty90

Squat
Deadlift
Over Head Press
Bench Press
Chins/Pull Ups
Dips
Push Ups

Up the amount of lower body work you do in the gym in the colder weather and reduce the cycling. In the warmer weather just do the opposite and up the amount of cycling you do and reduce the amount of lower body weight training. Doing this i've been able to maintain a heavier bodyweight while still being lean thus being more powerful and faster on the bike. I was only 10 1/2 stone before I started adding weights to my fitness routine but I was useless in head winds. Now that i'm 13 stone in winter and 12 1/2 at my lightest during summer I am much stronger in the wind and even faster uphill because i'm stronger and more powerful than before. In the gym I train full body style in winter and just train upper in the summer.

Enigma2008

Über Member
I'll be 75 in two weeks time and still race 10m TTs (28:16) and do some running (5k 28:57). I'm not motivated by weight training though I incorporate strength training into my runs. Warm up and tricep dips on roadside crash barrier, run1k do single leg lunges, another k then press ups on a footpath style, another k then step ups on a rail bridge then repeat on the way back.

Mralexrides

I do full body 3x a week try and do 2 exercises for each body part apart from arms. Good as you don't get confused on what split your doing and can jump around if someone's hogging a particular machine.

GuyBoden

Guru
For sprint cycling: leg presses, leg extensions, reverse leg extensions, calf extensions both seated and standing.

article-2166394-11D09268000005DC-97_306x490.jpg

Top Bottom