strengthening legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grimme

Regular
having just started riding i need to strengthen my legs, preferably without injuring them, what is the best way to go about this?

alicat

Legendary Member
Get some miles in your legs is the best way to strengthen them. Gradually build up the distance and frequency of riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
This. Stretch all the leg muscles after riding. You don't need masses of strength for cycling when you consider that people ride into their later years, overall fitness and getting the gearing right important. However, the correct set up of the bike is crucial especially to avoid hurting your knees

Last edited:

Ice2911

Über Member
The above is the bit we know we should do, but it's the bit I'm most rubbish at. British cycling has some good videos on stretching. Miles on the bike has been said. If I'm short of time I will go and do some hill repeats ( well it's called a hill in Norfolk but other counties would laugh) take it steady and build up, you will be surprised how quickly you can improve.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Really just ride more. I have said this over and over again since joining the forum, ride more, ride to work, ride to your friends house, ride to the newsagent, the pub, the cash machine, to the park, in fact just ride any short routine trips that would normally be a car or public transport journey and also try some longer ones too, they might be easier and more satisfying than you expect. Cycling can be incorporated into a daily routine easier than you might imagine.
Your fitness will follow your increasing activity. It isn't rocket science but it can be fun, rewarding and very satisfying.

If you can stand on each leg in turn, your legs are strong enough. What you probably lack is the fitness to have the muscle endurance you need. Work on increasing your ‘bike fitness’ by doing specific targeted ‘drills’ there are loads of training plans and advice on the inter web.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Really just ride more. I have said this over and over again since joining the forum, ride more, ride to work, ride to your friends house, ride to the newsagent, the pub, the cash machine, to the park, in fact just ride any short routine trips that would normally be a car or public transport journey and also try some longer ones too, they might be easier and more satisfying than you expect. Cycling can be incorporated into a daily routine easier than you might imagine.
Your fitness will follow your increasing activity. It isn't rocket science but it can be fun, rewarding and very satisfying.

This! Get sorted so you can easily do utility journeys by bike - get panniers or a rucksack to carry your shopping, store the bike somewhere it's easy to get out when you need it, remember that you don't need special clothes for cycling and that getting wet won't kill you :smile:

I have used some old down-hill skiing exercises to help build the muscle mass and the advantage of them is you can do it almost anywhere!
Simply stand with your legs slightly apart then drop down onto you haunches and gently bounce up and down, then stop in a well knees bent position until it starts to burn, then bounce a little bit then go up slightly, stop and bounce a little etc.
I used to do these whilst cleaning my teeth and at several other times of the day and it is amazing how your muscle mass and flexibility increases.

Are you an athlete or have you just started exercising as well as cycling? How old are you?
If you are just starting out, start easy and give your body time to adjust before getting into "training".
Most newbies pedal to hard and too slowly. Gear down and spin up to 60-80 rpm.
Ride at a workrate where you can hold a conversation.
Start with short rides and gradually extend the duration.
After a couple of weeks you will be able to start using the bike for training.

OP
OP
G

grimme

Regular
Are you an athlete or have you just started exercising as well as cycling? How old are you?
If you are just starting out, start easy and give your body time to adjust before getting into "training".
Most newbies pedal to hard and too slowly. Gear down and spin up to 60-80 rpm.
Ride at a workrate where you can hold a conversation.
Start with short rides and gradually extend the duration.
After a couple of weeks you will be able to start using the bike for training.
im a 63 yr old welder, always done manual work and i used to be up and down ladders but for a while its just stood about at a lathe or welding, gave up cigs 12months ago and i started walking and tried to jog to get more movement in my legs, they were always tired and achey, the bike is part of the overall plan to be fit enough to run a 10k before its too late but i suprisingly have found out that i enjoy cycling

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Having stronger legs will not make you a better cyclist. The force we put through the pedals is tiny, it's like climbing a flight of stairs

I wouldn't describe the amount of force needed to climb up a gradient or push into a headwind as tiny - both can be very hard going and you know all about it afterwards! Just the other day I was thinking that my legs are looking visibly stronger than at the start of the year when I was just getting back into riding again after doing very little cycling for years. Fitness allows you to carry out physical activity for a longer duration or at a higher intensity, but you still need a certain amount of strength in order to even do the activity in the first place. Someone with weak legs is only going to be able to push a very low gear at a low power output; to make decent progress in speed terms you need legs that are strong enough to develop the torque needed to turn higher gearing = more power output.
This is one reason I regard e-bikes as cheat bikes, because they endow a weaker rider with the performance of a stronger rider - without them making the effort to gain the extra strength.

Top Bottom