strengthening legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. 53% of bike sales in the NL are electric. The Dutch don’t make erroneous purchase decisions I would vouch.

I am a muscular person and ‘look strong’. Legs included. However I am nothing more than a ‘just above’ average cyclist in terms of fitness and my FTP. I am nowhere near as a strong cyclist as very skinny individuals I ride with. I would guess that’s down to my DNA and efficiency of my aerobic and cardiovascular engine..

I doubt if even 10% of UK sales are e-bikes, and the UK is more hilly than the NL so I find that very strange indeed. I rarely see the things on the road at all, and prefer it to stay that way TBH.

People will tend to gravitate to activities they are good at, including cycling. Someone who finds riding miles on a bike a doddle is more likely to choose to do it than someone who finds it hard going. From my own observations, I would say the average cyclist is of skinnier build and also taller than the average build of the whole population. Maybe cycling is just best suited to a particular body shape - like athletics? I'm a bit taller than average, but I'm not of skinny build, and I'm not a fast rider and probably never will be..

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I doubt if even 10% of UK sales are e-bikes, and the UK is more hilly than the NL so I find that very strange indeed...

I think you will find it is just a sensible choice available to a nation where the infrastructure gives you many more options. The Dutch are far from being lazy, cheating baskets. Cycling in the NL is very different to here where they regard it as a way of life rather than a leisure or sport activity. For some yes.

E bike sales could never be more than 10% or even near 53% here in the U.K. because of our sedentary culture and attitude. As for our abysmal infrastructure I despair.

Besides. The U.K. doesn’t have the shed space or enough skips for yet more forgotten bicycles of any ilk.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
E bike sales could never be more than 10% or even near 53% here in the U.K. because of our sedentary culture and attitude..

I agree with you about the UK having a sedentary culture and attitude bit, but surely that should mean more of the UK population choosing e-bikes to minimise the effort needed, rather than riding human-powered bikes?
Could it be that many UK cyclists are not cyclists through choice, but only because they can't drive or can't afford a car? It might explain why the majority of the bikes I see around locally are of the BSO, or only just above a BSO, quality level.

D

Deleted member 26715

I agree with you about the UK having a sedentary culture and attitude bit, but surely that should mean more of the UK population choosing e-bikes to minimise the effort needed, rather than riding human-powered bikes?
You're wrong & appear to have a 'chip' on your shoulder about these cheaters who are not pushing their own pedals, however as said above this is not the correct thread to discuss it.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Regarding leg strength and fitness (apologies for drift) I would gladly use an e bike as a body-maintenance option. And if age wasn’t kind to my body or injury defeated me I would also make no hesitation in using one.

The analogy ‘training slows you down and recovery speeds you up’ holds true. An e bike would be ideal for the rest period. Complete rest isn’t productive but light exercise is very beneficial.

@SkipdiverJohn could be right about the BSO vs income conundrum. The target market for a £99 BSO is never going to buy a £3k e-bike. But I am stymied as to why e bikes don’t hold more of an allure in our sedentary country. Those with enough income, annually spend the same on a smart phone as you could spend on a decent enough bike. It’s got to be infrastructure or ‘keeping up with the Jones’ that puts people off. Or simply ‘you must be poor if you ride a bike’. In the U.K. it is very car centric. You can go onto some of the poorest, roughest estates and find a brand new Audi parked up outside. In France they are quite happy to hold onto their old bangers. Culture and attitudes are hard nuts to crack.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. But I am stymied as to why e bikes don’t hold more of an allure in our sedentary country. Those with enough income, annually spend the same on a smart phone as you could spend on a decent enough bike. It’s got to be infrastructure or ‘keeping up with the Jones’ that puts people off. Or simply ‘you must be poor if you ride a bike’. In the U.K. it is very car centric. You can go onto some of the poorest, roughest estates and find a brand new Audi parked up outside. In France they are quite happy to hold onto their old bangers. Culture and attitudes are hard nuts to crack.

I grew up on a council estate, and back then, anyone with a regular job that paid half-decent wages, worked hard and saved up as much as they could - then used that money as a deposit to buy a private house, even if it was just down the road from the council estate. The "aspirational working classes" in modern parlance. That's all gone now, and council tenants with any money tend to blow it on flash cars, bling jewellery, tattoos, booze and drugs. They don't save up to better themselves. Now, getting back on topic......

Top Bottom