Stress fracture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
22AED794-AF62-453A-BDF2-60FD93C7518F.jpeg
I’ve noticed a little hair line crack near the bottom bracket on my giant defy 3 what would your advice be! Considering I’m not in a position to buy a new bike right now

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it's a 2O12 on model looks like you're in luck as you will be covered by their lifetime frame warranty;
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/lifetime-warranty

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
The happy cyclist

midlife

Guru
Is it those two lines radiating from a point nearer the camera? Or the white line in the fillet...

Slick

Guru
Difficult to tell from pictures, but it really doesn't look like a cracked frame to me.
Probably best to get it checked although as a fabricator, I would have thought that you would be able to tell the difference.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have only ever seen a crack appear on the very edge of a weld (weld toe (where it meets the metal)) rather than elsewhere. That's not to say it doesn't occur, but I think in your instance it is not a fracture.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
Clean the area with something that won’t scratch it,
something that will make it shine, will be easier then to see if it’s a crack or scratch.
I don’t know the name of them, but we get green nylon pads, 1/8 thick by 2x3 “ in shape,
they clean as well as steel wool but leave no scratch marks, that’s what I would use to
see whether or not you have a crack or a scratch that removed the paint.

If you try to clean up that area, make sure to tape up the frame well so you won’t
dull or damage any other paint, cut some thin but dense cardboard to wrap the
tubes and use a little tape to keep it in place.

Top Bottom