stretching after your commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I walk about the site a fare bit when I get to work which is a good cool down. At home I put on recovery/travel compression tights & am mildly active for a good 30 min or so after my commute walking about etc. Works well enough for me with recovery food/drink.

gbb

Legendary Member
Never stretched until i found it felt like my hamstrings were continuously tight a few years ago. It may not have been cycling related, i'd never suffered before. I did stretch a little, for a few weeks. Didnt seem to make any immediate difference to the tightness in my legs, then, as with many things i forgot about it, the stiffness went.
3 years later, i do longer rides albeit not pushing myself so hard...and reading this topic reminds me...i don't have that stiffness any more. Certainly dont stretch any more.
As mentioned in an earlier reply, i do sometimes get out of the saddle and stretch my back, legs and neck. But this is only once or twice for a minute in a 3 or 4 hour ride. Its not to prevent tightening up, more to alleviate some immediate stiffness.

Mad at urage

I didn't used to need to stretch, but then I did a lot of martial arts (and stretching there) during my first 20-odd years of commuter cycling. When I stopped regularly cycling, I started to get knee pains during the occasional ride, and during other exercise. Eventually diagnosed as my patella being pulled out of line by imbalanced muscles (much the same as Gaz I guess): Now I have to stretch or the knee won't push on my next ride.

Adasta

Yeah, I was warned that if I just try to bull through the pain then (apart from the knee occasionally collapsing when I walk), I'll permanently damage the patella and its attachments. Really is a good encouragement to stretch regularly (and before and after cycling).

I can run and play sport now but it's always going to feel weird, I think. Look into buying a patellar strap and just keep stretching. Rafa Nadal seems to be doing okay with it...

Never before or after commute but that is because it is too short - muscles hardly get used!

Before and after a 'proper' ride, I certainly shall in future. My osteopath recommended that I stretch much more just 2 weeks ago! Like a previous poster, I believe it is because I would like to remain supple-ish in ever advancing years, am well past middle-age!

Top Bottom