stretching tubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pash

I just got a spare tubular tire and I know I need to stretch and pre- glue it. Problem is I dont have a spare tubular rim to stretch it round. Any suggestions other than putting my foot in one side and pulling the other which I imagine is not good for the tire.
thanks

Grasen

Any suggestions other than putting my foot in one side and pulling the other which I imagine is not good for the tire.

thats what I do

02GF74

Über Member
weird, I just fitted it without stretching -didn't know that was part of the porcedure (that's when I have a bike with tubs, not anymore)

OP
OP
P

pash

I only found out about stretching them when I read the gluing instructions. New bike came with tub wheels so have had to learn what to do. the initial tires that came with the bike had been sitting on the rims unglued so were already stretched. The new Conti I just bought is incredibly hard to stretch and am a bit worried about having to stick it on if I puncture on a long ride.
Bit of GBH should do it. Have done the feet in the tire stretch so far.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think there is a lotof b******s written about fitting tubs. I read oodles of stuff recommending this that and t'other before finally settling down to Mavic mastic one. I was assured by many respondents that using glue was horribly messy and diificult to fit. Well, it aint.

I fitted a pair of Vittoria tubs using said mastic easily and without drama and having never fitted tubs before in my existence. As long as you let the glue dry in accordance with recommendations, you will not end up with the whole of your bike and you smeared with the stuff. Neither will you find you cannot re-position your tyre after applying said glue. And you will find that tubs ride in a way you would love tyres to ride. They are simply superb. The comfort is as nothing I have experienced with tyres.

Go forth and fit tubs. You will not be disappointed.

Top Bottom