Stretford Wheelers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclegeek

Is anyone here a member?

I did my first 40 mile bike ride last week and been looking at joining a club in manchester.

I have a few questions to ask but can't find the answers on the website or an email option.

How fast do you guys go on a club run? I'm still fairly large and worry about my speed.

How far? 40 miles took less effort than I thought so I'm now looking at trying 50+ miles

I'm also interested in trying a TT and could do with some genral info on that.

I hope this is the right section? and that someone can help? :wacko:

400bhp

Guru
This is of some interest to me.

I used to be a member if that club in the early 90s. I too recently tried to find info and all there seems to be these days is an out of date website.These days that seems to be pretty important. They still exist though as I have noticed the odd stretford wheelers jersey when out and about.

When I used to ride the sunday club runs wouldn't be too fast. If some people wanted to go faster then there Always seemed to be one of the experienced guys who would hang back.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Come on a CC run,you will love the pace we go and there is always a cafe/feed stop along the way.....thats the only reason along with great company i do them ! :whistle:

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

Come on a CC run,you will love the pace we go and there is always a cafe/feed stop along the way.....thats the only reason along with great company i do them ! :whistle:

CC? haven't come a cross them. Unless you meant CTC? In which case yes I have thought about joining but the interest in TTing seems quite big in the stretford wheelers.

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

This is of some interest to me.

I used to be a member if that club in the early 90s. I too recently tried to find info and all there seems to be these days is an out of date website.These days that seems to be pretty important. They still exist though as I have noticed the odd stretford wheelers jersey when out and about.

When I used to ride the sunday club runs wouldn't be too fast. If some people wanted to go faster then there Always seemed to be one of the experienced guys who would hang back.

I have sent an email to the club and will post the info on here as soon as I get a reply.

straas

Matt
Also interested. I've looked at the Manchester wheelers but the times aren't the best for me and they generally start in Didsbury and I'm in sale!

400bhp

Guru
Chaps - if you fancy joining myself and/or a mate or 2 on weekends please let me know.

Generally we go out early saturday mornings and do distances between 60 & 100 miles. The pace is reasonable, certainly not fast, but we don't dawdle too. We try to alternate between hilly and flat routes and will have a cafe stop about half way around.

We are also looking to start doing fast paced shorter distances, perhaps 30 miles or so.

I am also a member of North Cheshire Clarion-they go out on sundays but I find it difficult to join them due to family commitments.

straas

Matt
Where and when do you meet? The only 'clubrides' I've been on were the 'ride strong' sky rides and they felt a little slow in parts.

400bhp

Guru
Usually meet up in Lymm or Stretford.

I live in Timperley but I usually have to drop off my 2 year old in Lymm at my mothers.

Generally 7:30 am start.

OP
OP
cyclegeek

cyclegeek

Well they got back to me and this is the info from the email to those interested: :thumbsup:

Some of us meet at Urmston Cricket Club on a Friday night from 9 pm for a couple of hours and to decide where we are going on the Sunday ride. There are two rides a week, one on Tuesdays for some of us who do not work, and one on Sunday for everybody, the Tuesday group go to Spinney caravans on the A50 just before Holmes Chapel. I live in Stretford and get about 25 miles in to get there; we have lunch for an hour then ride home, usually a different route. We average 11/12 miles an hour. There are two groups on Sunday, the Tuesday group plus a few more and a faster group, although we usually try to meet up at the same place. Tuesdays we meet at the Green Dragon at Lymm at 10.15 and Sundays at the Green Dragon at 10.30, although if we are going towards Macclesfield we could meet at the traffic lights at Dane Road and Chester Road at 10 am.

The faster group could do perhaps 17/18 miles an hour although I don’t go with them so couldn’t be sure.

We also have a web site, Stretfordwheelers.org.uk so you may be able to get more information from there. Subs are £10 at the moment but could go up a bit next year.

There are quite a few of us who do time trialling. But you don’t pay extra for that as you pay the club who is running the time trial.

Top Bottom