Stripped thread in crank.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Last week I bought an old Hugh Porter bike, (see my last post in 'classic & vintage). I took it out for a couple of short easy rides and it performed beautifully and yesterday I took it for a longer ride on the North Yorkshire Moors. After 12 miles and a couple of stiff climbs I became aware that all was not well with the right hand pedal. When I examined it, it looked as if it had unscrewed a little way, I tried to tighten it but it was evident that the thread was knackered so I took the wimps way out and caught the train. When I got home I tried to remove the pedal and it would neither screw out or in so I was unable to remove it. I have two questions,
1. How can I get it out /
2. Is it possible to repair the thread using a Hellicoil
I would like to retain the origional chainset if possible because I believe they are origional parts and about 40 years old.
Many thanks for your help.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think some LBS have a tool to get them off without using the thread, but I've only ever removed them destructively in this situation.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

My LBS had a look at the bike and will be doing the work on Friday. Rather than leave my bike at the shop I brought it home again until Friday, This afternoon my granddaughter was playing in the garage and came back into the house sobbing and carrying the offending pedal. Between sobs she said, "sorry Granddad, it came off in my hand" :blush:

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Yes it was the crank, completely stripped out ! The LBS will be sorting it on Friday, in the meantime its back to my old BSO. Its like driving a land rover after driving a sports car xx(

Top Bottom