Stripped thread on crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grievesy

right then. The other day while commuting to work i noticed a wobble in my left pedal about a mile in. This got progressively worse until around the 5 mile mark i pulled over and the pedal just fell off when i took my foot off it. I checked the crank and the thread has been completely stripped. I have no idea how this has happened as ive not touched the pedals since the lbs put them on around a year ago. Obviously im going to need a new crank however i cant find another SRAM S SERIES left hand crank only. So i was thinking of upgrading to SRAM Rival. I run a 1x11 setup so its not as expensive as some would think. I currently have 42t at the front and i find as soon as it comes to any downhill i spin out right away and wouldnt mind some more teeth for a higher top speed. Question is ive found one that has 50t. Is this too much of an increase or should i just buy a 44-46t?

Also. All SRAM are compatible yes? I am assuming so. And ill be youtubing how to fit it myself. Bugger the lbs. Should i do the bottom bracket at the same time? Bike is only a year old but i commute on it daily. Prob done 2k miles.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ajax Bay

Guru
ive not touched the pedals since the lbs put them on around a year ago
:laugh::laugh:
More normal for people to complain they can't take the pedals off after they haven't "touched" them for a year.
Going from 42t to 50t will mean you spin out at a much higher speed but makes your lowest gear much 'longer' - will not be an issue during a commute. You can do the math.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yeah it'll have the GXP bottom bracket, might as well take the bb out and regrease it while you're there

re:teeth - dunno.. I have the 2x11 version ^_^

silva

Über Member
I assume this is about a singlespeed or fixed gear?
42 to 50 is a serious gear increase. If you're used to 42 it's quite likely that a WTF text balloon will appear above your head at the first uphill.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
That's messy but repairable on the off chance a local shop has a 9/16-20 helicoil kit and a 5/8-24 LH tap

Top Bottom