Strong Wheel £80, Suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Setting off from a set of traffic lights in the big ring I was giving it hell not to be passed by another roadie when BANG...SKID.. CLUNK CLUNK, My rear derailleur had been ripped from the hanger and gone though he wheel (This is OF COURSE because of my sheer SWESOMENESS :smile:) So now I need a wheel, Im 20 stone so needs to be strong and I have a budget of £70-80, your suggestions pease gentlemen

Thanks

Gaz

martint235

Dog on a bike
I had Evans build me a Mavic PRO wheel, 36 spoke (racing) with shimano 105 hubs. I can't say exactly how much it was though as I had a lot of other work done at the same time (new chain, rear cassette and a few other bits) for £200.

I weigh in at 16stone+ so I asked for something strong

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
martint235 said:
I had Evans build me a Mavic PRO wheel, 36 spoke (racing) with shimano 105 hubs. I can't say exactly how much it was though as I had a lot of other work done at the same time (new chain, rear cassette and a few other bits) for £200.

I weigh in at 16stone+ so I asked for something strong

The Mavic Pro (36) on 105 hub sounds ideal, I have used the Mavic Open Sport for around 5000 miles without any real issue, until the other night lol , i'll give em a call and ask for a price later I think.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee

Will1985

Über Member
It sounds like you put the derailleur through a handbuilt Mavic Open Sport - is that correct? That would just need a quick rebuild using the same rim and hub, with new spokes.

If it's strength for value you want, check out Spa Cycles for Rigida Chrina based wheels.

I ride Mavic A719s on deore hubs, which are pretty indestructible yet still fairly light. Though they don't wear any tyres narrower than 28s well.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks everyone, I got it rebuilt, it was pretty well bent so suspct thatmight no be an option, but all is wel that ends well

Top Bottom