Strong Wheels for commuting and Audax??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Can anybody recommend me a set of stong wheels. I commute 100 miles a week and usually do a 100k+ Audax every 2 or 3 weeks. I have Spesh Tricross and I am 15st, so would like something, that can take my weight and the potholes that London throws at me.

Budget i'm not sure?

Any advice welcome.

TIA

RedBike

You can't go far wrong with a set of hand built wheels.

Which ever rim /hub combo suits your budget.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mavic Open Pro with Shimano 105 hubs, Conti Ultragastorskins were what were recommended by both Paul Hewitt and Condor - and are what I have on my Fratello.

Described as bombproof (by many Audax riders) they seem very nice - strong, light and quick. ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
scoosh said:
Mavic Open Pro with Shimano 105 hubs, Conti Ultragastorskins were what were recommended by both Paul Hewitt and Condor - and are what I have on my Fratello.

Described as bombproof (by many Audax riders) they seem very nice - strong, light and quick. ;)
Good call, I might go CXP22's or 33's on 105 hubs, they'd be a bit heavier duty, but not as much fun as Open Pros. It depends how indistructible and hardwearing you want/need, the 22's have heavy braking surfaces ideal for gritty winter use. Easily serviceable cup and cone hubs would be de-rigeur for a hard winter commuter IMO. I use CXP22's on Ultegra as winter/distance wheelies.

jimboalee

My Dawes Giro ( and a colleague's Dawes Super Gal ) has Alesa aero 32 hole rims, generic hubs and plain gauge SS spokes.

My Giro has done 15,000 miles commuting and Audaxing upto 300km Randos.

Both wheels have un-noticeable runout. Brake tracks are clean and hardly worn.
Rear hub needed replacement cones about 500 miles ago.

They are as cheap as chips.

Top Bottom