Stronger Wheels Than An Aksium!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

right, i have had it!

ive popped three spokes in 2 months on my rear aksium, and im fed up of these wheels. each time its been a brand new wheel.

so, im just after a replacement rear wheel, so what can people suggest for about 100 quid!!??

thanks

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
decent handbuilt 105 on open pro .

A well built handbuilt wheel at this price will easily last longer than any factory built nonsense.

Harry Rowland will build a nice wheel

RedBike

Never had any trouble with Aksiums myself; perhaps you just got a bad set.

105's on open pros is a great suggestion. They will probably cost you slightly more than £100; but they're well worth the extra. (If you're running 9 speed just watch that you don't buy the 10speed only version!)

Campag Ventos are rather tough too; although they're a low spoke count wheel so probably not the best suggestion for heavier riders.

OP
OP
S

steve23

ive had three different rear wheels, and the same thing has happened!!!

im not that heavy, 82kg, so not a lightweight, but pretty average!

i have vento's but they are only an 8 spd cassette!

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Steve are you avoiding pot holes and drain covers when you ride? I've found Bontrager wheels pretty strong.
I've had a pair of Askiums for over a year now on my commuter and have had no problems.

OP
OP
S

steve23

yeah! the current wheel i have had for a week!!!

i avoid all potholes, covers etc, but still they ping!!!

i weigh 82 kg, so a pretty average weight. the wheels should be strong enough!

RedBike

As far as I know 8 and 9 speed Shimano freehubs are the same width. 10 speeds are actually narrower than 8/9 (I know this isn't logical). Your 10 speed cassette will fit on an 8/9 speed hub but you'll need to use a spacer behind the cassette.

The good news is your Askiums have a 9 speed hub so you will already be using one! (This spacer is normally shipped with cassettes, it's about 1mm thick.)

sloxam

yeah, bad luck i think. i weigh 105kg and have had askiums on for 3 months on road rides and commutes and no probs at all

I'm your weight sloxam and I recently(3 months) bought a pair of Campagnolo Khamsin G3 and they have dealt with all the lumps and bumps I can't avoid - a bargain at £90. My other bike has Ksyrium (Sp?) and they are fine.
Best 'feel' I had from wheels was using Campag 'Zonda' - it's interesting how 'stuff' makes so much difference! (and £££ - of course!:smile: )

Will1985

Über Member
I've never had Mavics, but Campag wheels are certainly "bomb-proof". My Ventos take a huge punishment from bumps and holes, while my Zondas ride like a dream. That said, I am quite light.
The Open Pros on my fixie probably take the biggest punishment with the bumps, jumping off kerbs, and the sudden torque changes associated with leg braking. They are still true and vfm.

Top Bottom