Structural integrity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have seen a Raleigh professional frame on a well known Dutch website.

The fly in the ointment appears to be three 3mm holes drilled in the frame one in the seat tube, one in the rear stay and one somewhere else (thanks Google). The pictures are not very clear and I should probably leave well alone...but if the holes are not structuraly significant and everyone else is put off bidding, it could be a winner...or a death trap.

Advice and sarcasm are welcome.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietse...285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's nice and ok got a few extra holes

Grab a bargain and enjoy it

The apertures in the BB intrigue me, I'm trying to make my mind up whether they keep it drier or make it wetter.
They wouldn't be of much use if there was an oiler on top . :whistle:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Where is the rear fork hole?

Generally small holes don't affect proof strength that much (before the frame bends in a crash) as the stresses will re-distribute following local yielding. However fatigue strength is badly affected. Fatigue loads will be highest at the ends of the tubes or mid-span. Not that concerned about what I can see so far.

Where is the rear fork hole?

Generally small holes don't affect proof strength that much (before the frame bends in a crash) as the stresses will re-distribute following local yielding. However fatigue strength is badly affected. Fatigue loads will be highest at the ends of the tubes or mid-span. Not that concerned about what I can see so far.
At the bottom near the rear dropouts .

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have seen a Raleigh professional frame on a well known Dutch website.

The fly in the ointment appears to be three 3mm holes drilled in the frame one in the seat tube, one in the rear stay and one somewhere else (thanks Google). The pictures are not very clear and I should probably leave well alone...but if the holes are not structuraly significant and everyone else is put off bidding, it could be a winner...or a death trap.

Advice and sarcasm are welcome.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/fietse...285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr
There's not much left of the underside of the b/b and if that doesn't concern you then why worry about a few little holes in other tubes ? Anyway it might make a pleasant whistling sound as you ride ^_^

midlife

Guru
twas trendy to cut holes in BB's (see my avatar). The "CC" = Carlton Cycles cut into the BB of the OP's linked frame was also part of branding. Other makers used an ace of spades etc. We used a protective sleeve over the BB holes, you can see mine painted black. :smile:

Top Bottom