Struggle on Hills on Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

What, if anything, is that supposed to mean?
It's an article on the subject of the thread. If you don't like it - don't read it.

The thing is, I have read it. The article in your link suggests doing a load of stuff that the OP has either already got, or already done. Ergo, the info contained in the article is a bit useless in this context.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know you love to whip up pointless arguments, but I'm afraid you're on to a loser this time. I'm not interested.

S-Express

I know you love to whip up pointless arguments, but I'm afraid you're on to a loser this time. I'm not interested.

Ironically, I think you're the one starting a pointless argument. I'm simply pointing out that if your intention was to help the OP, then he's already done most, if not all of that. There's nothing to argue about, so settle down.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually ... the distraction point is an interesting one. I have often ridden up a steepish hill without noticing it because I was deep in thought about something when I began the ascent.

When I first realised that I was doing that, I thought that I must be climbing more slowly because I was not concentrating on making a big effort. Surprisingly, when I checked my times I found that I wasn't much slower than usual.

For obvious reasons that is unlikely to happen on any brutish climb (say > 20%) because you are not going to get up it unless you really dig deep. I do notice it on 6%-10% though; climbs that are steep enough to require a reasonable effort while not being lung-busters.
Ha ha - it happened again today and some ramps WERE steep but I still didn't notice them. I was cycling back from Thursden towards Widdop (up in the hills between Hebden Bridge/Colne). This is the profile of the climb ...

Thursden climb.png

The ramp from point *1 is briefly about 25%. *1 -> *2 averages 18%. After *2 the road levels off for about 150 metres and then dips down to point *3 where it kicks right back up again. *3 -> *4 averages 16%. *4 -> *5 gives some relief, but still averages 7%. *5 -> *6 averages 20%. *6 -> *7 is easy and then the road kicks up one last time, averaging 11% from *7 -> *8.

I was looking up the hill at point *1 and was fully aware of how tough it was as I climbed there. As soon as I had respite at *2 I started thinking about some software that I am writing. And then to my surprise, I was suddenly at *8 - I had no recollection of riding the road from *2 -> *8, but I could remember everything I had been thinking about my software!

It was a very odd feeling ... :wacko:

Lozz360

Veteran
Hi all, I am after some advice.

Well a year ago I got my first road bike (2015 Giant Defy 4) and at the time I was a heavy (18st 2lb). A year in and only done 1,500 miles and now (16st 12lb) I still struggle to climb hills in and around Derbyshire all the time. All my rides have many hills in them being in Derbyshire but I just seem to always struggle on them still and there is some that I just have to stop half way as my legs give in and I am just not able to get up them like the others I ride in with my club.

I was wondering would it be possible to change the gearing on my bike so make climbs a bit more easier for me like changing the cassette or even fitting a triple crankset on the front.

The bike currently has Claris double(compact) gear leavers and I am running a FSA Tempo, 34/50 crankset and SRAM PG 850 11-32 rear cassette.

Any advice would be great (I know losing some more weight may help as well)

Many Thanks
Chris
As already mentioned, a 34/32 gear is quite low already. Is your saddle set high enough? I found that raising the saddle following a bike fit (I'm not suggesting you need a bike fit) hills became noticeably easier.

Top Bottom