struggling to get right boom length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive only had the recumbent a couple of days,on a normal bike I would set saddle height using heel on the pedal method, I'm struggling to get it right on the recumbent, trial and error I know but I cant seem to find the sweet spot. anyone got any tips or words of wisdom.

on another note , bloody hell, calfs are aching:cry: , ive only done a few rides around the estate trying to get boom right, does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of recumbent legs:okay:

still grinning like a loon though^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Your legs will soon be swapped over.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I set mine the same way as the upwrongs (normal bike) using the heel method you describe, seems to work ok.
A higher cadence helps the legs and knees, but its gonna be tough for a bit as you're using muscles that don't work so hard on you normal bikes.

Hi
You might want to set it slightly shorter , (1/2" )
Just checked an ebay and Amazon have zero stock on bent legs , Most second user ones are being used.
It is best to grow your own . 21/2 miles minimum every day for 6 weeks then 25miles a week for a year will start the process.
The muscles used by bents are not the same and will complain for a while , use warming massage rub before and after in the cold to help keep muscles loose and relaxed

Spin and don't mash the pedals , just keep a steady cadence and ride.
Another idea is putting an axle stand under the back wheel , this allows you to play in the warm with the x seem value without going on the road .a toestrap around the rear brake puts it into trainer mode and around the front brakes keeps the trike stationary .

Changing the crank length to 150-165 mm might help , after few weeks the bent legs will start to develop for you.

Or like us old ones the e-assist works wonders.

regards emma

Got my bike Saturday. Sunday's ride wasn't an issue for me. My legs never felt it but the top of my arms ached badly after half an hour or less. USS and possibly some periods of death grip are the causes I reckon.

I've got to get the boom length changed but it means chain lengthening and derailleur cable changing. Until then I've got slightly crunched up legs when pedaling.

As far as tired legs go I suspect a past of a lot of walking (including challenge walking up to 50 miles) and a past gym life with resistance machines on my legs using all available weight blocks in the stack. I've lost strength but it seems enough. Plus a good core strength from whitewater kayaking.

It's good you've recovered enough to get out on a bike.

I read once that after time away from exercise it takes three times as long to get back to where you were. Three weeks off = nine weeks to recover. I don't know if it's true but take your time to get better. At least you'll have fun on your trike.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've done mm adjustments, and I've done huge 'pull it out an inch then point the derailleur mast at the sky' type adjustments, and finally 'adjust my cleats on one shoe so that they're an inch further back' adjustments. Each has been an improvement. I find I have to be careful not to cock the right knee as it comes around the chain, as that creates a pain after a few miles cold. Also, I tend to sit slightly off centre, and that means my measurements are all a bit off anyway. Finally, my hip->pedal distance at the start of a long ride is about an inch and a half further than at the end of the same ride, as I tend to slip down the seat into a more reclined position as I gain miles. Its part comfort, part confidence, part knackeredness. :smile:

That said, I do run 165s on my bikes. And swapping from one to another can produce a one off clunk in my thigh muscles which is so dominant that I'd swear I could hear the twang (if I were able to hear anything over the pain). :smile:

starhawk

Now that bent-leg pops out again! Me and my friends never had an issue with the legs, no new muscles did make their presence known. The position is the same as on the upright just rotated a bit around the pedal-spindle.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I found my hamstrings can cramp up when bent riding, so I ensure I do good stretches after each ride - and sometimes during a ride if I haven't been out for a while or haven't done much distance.

I also think my boom length gives a slightly more 'bent leg' [clever, eh? :laugh:] than on an upright bike.

Boom Length:-
When I had a mesh seat, I also found I used to slip down a bit while riding.
So I set my boom length slightly long for when I first got on, so with use I slid down to the ideal length.
Now I a hardshell seat, I don't slide down, so I can set my ideal boom length from the get go.

My understanding of bent legs is ......
It depends on your back-hip-thigh angle if you suffer from it.
The more reclined you are, the bigger the angle is and the less work your glutes can do pull your thigh back.
This puts more work on your quadriceps for the same power output.
So your quads fatigue quicker and you suffer from bent legs.
Once you get bent fit,+1k miles, you'll suffer less.

As for your calves aching, try moving your cleats as far back as possible.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It will between BOOM!
and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! but not as long as BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! I'm sure ;)

Top Bottom