Struggling to just go where the bike takes me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having just got my road bike after commutng on a hybrid for the past few years I have a commuting mindset of getting to work/home on time and very rarely alter my route (I know that's not the case for some but it is for me).

I live in East London/Essex borders and have gone on a few 50 mile rides which I will start to increase over the next few months. My difficulty is that I struggle to just go off and ride. I seem to want to plan and study a route before hand and often end up stopping with the iphone map to make sure I'm en route still. I guess I worry that if I just ride off, I'll end up too far from home, too far from somehere to eat, go the wrong way and double back on myself etc etc. (control freak anyone??!!). I also tend to find that the routes in/out of my local area gets quite boring as there's 8 or so miles each way I've done over and over which takes up a fair chucnk of the overall ride.

Should I stick to planning my routes and just working out greater circuits or should I just start riding where I feel lik it? Is there any advice to do the latter? Am I also better to drive out 10 miles and start from there?

Steve H

Large Member
I don't know your area, but I'm sure there are loads of different options. Here are a few of suggestions:
  • Get out a train map. Travel to somewhere you are comfortable to ride back from. You will get a whole new set of roads. When you finally get to the last familiar few miles, you will be feeling quite pleased with yourself.
  • Join a local club. They will be experienced on your local area and will introduce you to routes that you will never have known previously existed. Its worth phoning the club in advance to explain the level you are riding at and to join the right speed of group. Most clubs let you tag along for a few rides before joining to see if you like it.
  • Join Audax - they have loads of fairly cheap rides of varying distances in most areas of the country -Here's a link - http://www.aukweb.net/
  • Check out local sportives - bit more pricey than audax rides, but normally well organised and are well sign posted if you are concerned about getting lost

Koga

I don't have an Iphone nor a Garmin, but I pretty sure with a Garmin (say Edge Touring) you can prepare and download a route and follow this whilst cycling. You can also download routes from others on the Garmin website.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have to admit, I've lost my mojo for just randomly doing local loops - I need a goal - although when I force myself generally see something new and enjoy them. Take a train somewhere and cycle back, or visa versa. Or black out routes on the map you've explored and aim to do what's left.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I found that making it up as I went along was a great way to start, a side effect being I found out so much more about my local area including routes, roads places I didn't know existed (well I have only lived here for 14 years!). This in turn gave me a series of routes which were typically 5 - 20 miles long. Joining these together gave me the 40 mile + routes which kind of 'circuited' my house so easy to duck out if tired, but I always knew how far from home I was so equally easy to do that bit more.
Also worth looking at www.cycle-route.co.uk for local rides uploaded local to you.

I guess my natural sense of exploration and no fear of the unknown probably helps. Just pick a road you have not been down before and see where it leads you - it is great fun. And provided you can tell what time of day it is and where the sun is (OK maybe not so easy) or have a smartphone you can always find your way home again just by following road signs. Take a little cash, a repair kit for the bike (just in case), add some lights (given the current time of year) and get out and cycle. My Garmin edge 200 will record where I have been and I can have a look at it later. My smartphone (assuming I have remembered to carry it :whistle:) will tell me where I am if I get totally lost..

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I guess my natural sense of exploration and no fear of the unknown probably helps. Just pick a road you have not been down before and see where it leads you - it is great fun. And provided you can tell what time of day it is and where the sun is (OK maybe not so easy) or have a smartphone you can always find your way home again just by following road signs. Take a little cash, a repair kit for the bike (just in case), add some lights (given the current time of year) and get out and cycle. My Garmin edge 200 will record where I have been and I can have a look at it later. My smartphone (assuming I have remembered to carry it :whistle:) will tell me where I am if I get totally lost..
What I used to call a 'get lost' ride in my youth, before the days of mobile phones. Still, as long as I was home for tea Mum never worried..

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Sounds like you need a Garmin or any handlebar mounted mapping\route device I find it helps in planning routes with decent stops distance etc. Also helps to plan with hills etc. In fact I think Strava routes you can get it to alter the route to lower hills or higher etc automatically .

What I used to call a 'get lost' ride in my youth, before the days of mobile phones. Still, as long as I was home for tea Mum never worried..

I still do them... both on my mtb & my road bike. if I spot a road I fancy riding, I just go (and don't have to worry about what time I get back...)
I also don't worry about getting lost - it is simply a state of mind and if I refuse to accept I'm lost, I'm quite happy!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It does not involve planning a route. It involves going in a direction to the object. But any cycling involves going in a direction. Maybe you should get a turbo trainer and stay still.

I should google it. Basically a find the box game with GPS co-ordinates (typically). Great for Cub Scouts..

Cosmic, you have never been geocaching have you?

Steve

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It does not involve planning a route. It involves going in a direction to the object. But any cycling involves going in a direction. Maybe you should get a turbo trainer and stay still.

Cosmic, you have never been geocaching have you?

Steve
Just the once, with a group of Scout leaders.

Top Bottom